So imagine this: you decide to sell your 52-year-old watch on eBay for $9.95 and when the auction is over you end up with $66,100. Not bad, right? That’s what happened to Bob. The retired Navy doctor decided to sell a few of his old things and put his Rolex Submariner Ref 5510 dive watch up for auction on eBay. He bought the watch from a Navy Exchange 52 years ago and wore it almost every day for more than 35 years.
To his shock, a few days into the auction, his watch started climbing to more than $30,000. After speaking with his son, the two figured out that the watch was an extremely rare model that Sean Connery wore as James Bond in Dr. No, Goldfinger, and Thunderball. During the final hours of the auction, a bidding war raised the price to more than $66,100. (It didn’t hurt that he has a collection of pictures of him wearing the watch, including at a diving party with Superman himself, Christopher Reeve.) For more information about the auction and a bunch of pictures, check out Hodinkee.
If you had the choice, would you rather party with Superman or take the $66,100? It would be a tough choice. Christopher Reeve was one cool guy.
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far
- How to sell your smartphone
- The best apps to sell clothes will turn your unused wardrobe into cash
- Why the internet dooms the sneaker industry as much as it helps it
- Need something to watch? Here are the best Amazon Prime TV shows