The PlayStation brand of consoles has always had a strong tie to the racing genre. Each console has had a great mix of exclusive and third-party racing titles that looked and played fantastic on the hardware. The PlayStation 4 was the biggest success Sony had since the PS2, but at the same time, seemed to have far fewer pure racing games released on the system. All of Sony’s marketing and promotion shifted during this generation to its big first-party exclusives like The Last of Us Part 2, God of War, and Ghost of Tsushima, with little to no love being shown to the racing fans.
Even though Sony itself wasn’t pushing the genre, the PS4 has some of the best racing games ever developed, ready for you to set a new course record on. The number to choose from is a little overwhelming, but we’ve culled the pack down to only the fastest, brightest, and, most importantly, most fun racing games the system has to offer. Racing as a genre is broader than some people may think, so we’ve included a little bit of everything to help you find a game that matches your speed.
- The best racing games of all time
- The best racing games for the Nintendo Switch
- The best PS4 exclusives for 2021
- Monster Hunter Rise won’t support cross-progression between PS4 and PS5
- The best iPhone games to play in December 2022: Marvel Snap and more
- The best Intel processors for 2022
- Amnesia: The Bunker takes survival horror into a ‘semi-open-world’ sandbox
- Xbox Game Pass adds Lego Star Wars and a former Switch console exclusive