On Tuesday, Activision finally relented and officially announced the follow up to the popular Call of Duty: Black Ops, with the unsurprising title Call of Duty: Blacks Ops 2 and a trailer to show it off. What did surprise though, was the setting for the sequel.
The original Black Ops was set during the Cold War era (and dredged up some controversy with a “Kill Fidel Castro” Bay of Pigs level). Black Ops 2, however, jumps nearly 75 years into the future. With that leap comes a massive overhaul in the technology you will use.
As you can see in the images above, the future involves mech-based tanks like the Claw and quadcopters roaming the devastated Los Angeles. It looks as though the original protagonist Sgt. Woods will be making at the least an appearance in Black Ops 2, based on Tuesday’s trailer.
We don’t have much more information than that but you can expect more when E3 hits in June.
- ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’: Everything you need to know
- ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’ gets ‘Blackout’ beta on all platforms next month
- ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’ review
- ‘Battlefield V’ beta with new multiplayer experience kicks off September 6
- See a taste of battle royale in the latest ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’ trailer