The PlayStation 4 launch window is still wide open, and will remain so for the next few months as games make their way to Sony’s new system. During that time way may not see blockbuster franchises, but we will get several clever and intriguing new titles, like Bloober Team’s downloadable Basement Crawl.
The game is described as a “strategic action game featuring creepy characters, challenging environments and exciting maze-based competitive multiplayer.” Up to eight players face off in grid-based arenas, where players set traps for their opponents. The game features four classes, each with their own abilities and powers.
The real draw is the visual style though, which you can see displayed in the gallery above.
The game also features:
- An Engagingly Unnerving Style: a ghoulish but entertaining presentation inspired by classic grindhouse movies, twisted horror films and even other games, such as Manhunt.
- Classic Gameplay with a Modern Twist: brings together the best gameplay elements of classic titles like Bomberman with modern technology and online features.
- Multiplayer: players can battle to be the best against others either locally for up-to-four competitors or online for up-to-eight contenders.
- An Awesome Party Game: easy-to-learn gameplay and a focus on multiplayer fun makes Basement Crawl the perfect house-party fragfest.
- Classes and Characters: the game features four unpredictable and macabre characters, each representing a unique class, and each sporting special abilities and skills.
- “2.5D?”: Basement Crawl is made with a 3D-engine, but presented in classic 2D, allowing players to control the position of the camera while enjoying dynamic lights and effects.
- Arenas: nine uniquely hair-raising arenas are included for players to master and conquer, including the Slaughterhouse, Restaurant Dungeon, Abandoned Circus and more.
- Online Features Include: Leaderboards for comparing highest
An exact release date hasn’t been revealed yet, but Basement Crawl will be available via the PlayStation Network sometime this year.