Market researcher NPD Group said Thursday that total sales of video game hardware, software and accessories fell 19 percent in October from the same month last year, to $1.07 billion.
Sales of gaming hardware fell by nearly a quarter to $380.7 million. Software sales declined 18 percent, to $572.7 million.
The Wii from Nintendo Co. was the month’s best-selling gaming system, followed by the handheld DS, also from Nintendo. Sony’s PlayStation 3 was in third place.
NPD says the top games included “Uncharted 2: Among Thieves” and “Wii Fit Plus.” Some of the holiday season’s most anticipated games are launching this month.
- Under new leader, Nintendo sets mobile-game revenue target near $1 billion
- The 20 best Nintendo Switch games you can buy today
- Electronic Arts is taking its time with ‘Anthem,’ reveals potential launch
- The best game-streaming services
- Serve your opponents with the ‘Mario Tennis Aces’ beta tournament