As promised, you can now get 5.1 surround sound audio from YouTube TV when you’re watching on Apple TV. The addition of those two platforms comes a few months after the feature went live on Roku, Android TV, and Google TV.
Today’s tweet announcing the addition of the feature also included Amazon Fire TV generally, and a quick peek through the supported devices shows that Fire TV Cube, Fire TV Stick
Timing notwithstanding, it means all the major streaming platforms now support 5.1 surround sound with
5.1 Audio Update! 🔈🔉🔊 We now support 5.1 audio on Apple TV & Fire TV devices for compatible
YouTube TVcontent (live, DVR, & video on-demand).
If you’re a game console user, we’re working on getting this available to you as soon as possible, and will share live updates here. pic.twitter.com/8Pmxrt1WqU
YouTube TV(@YouTubeTV) September 6, 2022
Why is this important? If you’ve got a stereo system with more than left and right speakers — that is, basic stereo —
More on surround sound
In addition to the aforementioned Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV,
- You Asked: Panasonic TVs, Apple and FlexConnect, and TV spies
- YouTube TV tips and tricks: how to get the most out Google’s live TV service
- If you don’t see CBS in 4K on YouTube TV, try this
- YouTube TV laps the competition with 8 million subscribers
- YouTube TV is finally fixing the biggest problem with multiview