There’s always an element of “suck it and see” with a new platform version and Android Lollipop is no exception. Sure, there are improvements, but the idea of zero defects is a myth. As the silky smooth animations of Material Design roll out onto more and more Android devices, we’re hearing about more and more Android 5.0 Lollipop problems. Here are the biggest issues, and some ideas on how to work around or fix them.
Glitch: Smart Lock trusted places not working
A lot of people have been having trouble getting the Smart Lock feature to work with trusted places after the Lollipop update. You can try a few different things to get it working again.
- It may be because your device isn’t picking up your location accurately enough. Try turning on Google Maps or another app that uses the GPS and it you might find that it works.
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Google > Location settings and make sure that High accuracy mode is on.
- Now open up Google Maps and center on your location. Check to see if it matches your actual location that you are trying to use as a trusted place.
- If you find that it doesn’t then you can actually report it to Google via the Report a problem link at the bottom right.
- In the meantime the easiest way to get it working is to just add it as a new location in trusted places via Settings > Security > Smart Lock > Trusted places > Add trusted place.
- You can also edit the location by tapping it in Smart Lock > Trusted places and then tapping Edit.
- If that doesn’t help you, then try going to Smart Lock > Trusted places and removing them. Turn Smart Lock off. Restart the device and add them as new.
Problem: Private photos are gone after update
A few people have found that their private mode photos are no longer accessible after updating to Lollipop. This seems to be a problem for Samsung device owners specifically, though it may not be limited. If you use a file explorer app you can probably see that the files are still there, but there’s no way to open them because they’re encrypted.
- The only fix for this is going to be an update from Samsung, but it’s very important that you don’t do anything to delete the photos in the meantime. That means avoid a factory reset. Just leave the files alone and email Samsung about the problem. We’ll update you when a fix comes out.
Issue: Slow charging
If you find that your device is charging up a lot more slowly than it did before the Android 5.0 Lollipop update then you are definitely not alone. Bear in mind that your device will always charge more slowly if you plug it into a computer or laptop to charge rather than a wall charger.
- The first thing to do is try using the original wall charger and cable that came with your device and see if that makes a difference. If you’re using a third-party cable or charger then it may be limiting the charging speed.
- It’s also worth trying a different cable, charger, and power outlet to confirm there are no problems there. Make sure you aren’t using the device while it’s charging.
- You could try wiping the cache partition. The process is slightly different for different devices, but you can find instructions in how to use recovery mode.
- This could also be a symptom of the rapid battery drain problem, check out the solutions there.
Problem: Missing notifications on lock screen
You may find that your notifications are missing from the lock screen after updating to Lollipop and that your widgets are gone. Sadly Google has removed lock screen widgets in Android 5.0 Lollipop, though you can still get things like music controls as small notifications. If yours are gone here’s how to turn them on again.
- Go to Settings > Sound & notification > When device is locked and choose Show all notification content or Hide sensitive notification content. They should be back after that. If they aren’t then restart your device.