Fending off an onslaught of budget Nokia phones from HMD Global, Motorola’s attempting to hold onto its claim as the budget smartphone king, and its latest is the Moto E6, a $150 phone that focuses on strong foundations over special features.
Design and display
As usually the case with budget phones, you won’t find flagship beauty or build materials in this affordable phone. It has a polycarbonate frame with a textured back panel, decorated with inlaid sparkling stars. The single rear-facing lens is in the top-left corner, and there’s no fingerprint scanner at all.
The textured power button is beneath the volume rocker, with the MicroUSB port at the bottom and the headphone jack at the top. The front has some hefty bezels around the 5.5-inch display, with a relatively large chin and forehead.
The display is a 5.5-inch IPS LCD, running a 1.440 x 720 resolution in an 18:9 aspect ratio. It scores a pixels-per-inch rating of 296, so it’s not the sharpest screen around, but it will be more than satisfactory for most.
Specs and battery
There’s not much that stands out in the
- CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 435
- Memory: 2GB
- Storage: 16GB
- MicroSD storage: Yes, up to 256GB
- Screen size: 5.5 inches
- Resolution: 1,140 x 720
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.2, MicroUSB port, headphone jack
- Battery: 3,000mAh (removable)
- Size: 149.7 x 72.3 x 8.57 mm
- Weight: 159g (5.6oz)
- Operating system: Android 9.0 Pie
It’s powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 435, the same processor in last year’s Moto E5 Plus. There’s 2GB of RAM, and though it just packs 16GB of internal storage, there’s a MicroSD slot for up to 256GB of additional space. That’s a whole lot of extra songs, videos, and photos. Unfortunately, there’s no NFC for Google Pay, and the Bluetooth connection is the outdated Bluetooth 4.2 LE.
There’s a reasonably sized 3,000mAh battery in the
It’s good news if you love pie — the
Budget phones often struggle to provide a good camera, and Motorola will be hoping the
Release date and availability
- The best cheap phones for 2020
- Every 5G phone announced so far so you can get a faster internet connection
- The best small Android and iOS smartphones worth buying
- The best Android phones for 2020
- Motorola’s flagship Moto Edge+ packs 6.7-inch curved OLED, 108MP camera