Johnny Depp has already played iconic Alice in Wonderland character The Mad Hatter, Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory‘s enigmatic Willy Wonka, so it seems fitting that his next role might be Theodor Geisel, the beloved children’s book author and illustrator better known as Dr. Seuss.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Depp’s studio Infinitum Nihil will produce a biopic of Geisel, who famously created such works as The Cat in the Hat, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Horton Hears a Who, among others. It’s likely that Depp will also star in the film.
The film will be written by Keith Bunin, who’s best known for his work on the critically praised television series In Treatment.
The other producer on the biopic is Illumination Entertainment, whose founder previously produced the Horton Hears a Who adaptation and is currently working on a similar adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ classic tale The Lorax.
It’s unknown whether the Dr. Seuss project will involve any animation elements or mix live-action scenes with digital effects, much like Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Santa Claus is coming to town: Get ready with these Christmas apps
- Syfy debuts first trailer for ‘Game of Thrones’ author George R.R. Martin’s ‘Nightflyers’
- 13 epic sci-fi novels you should read before they become blockbuster films
- It’s Dumbledore, Depp, and dark magic in ‘Fantastic Beasts’ sequel trailer
- The best movies on Hulu, from ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ to ‘Reservoir Dogs’