A new report in the British newspaper The Daily Mail claims that producers are “hoping to land British star Emily Blunt to play the villain in the next Iron Man installment.”
Blunt was the original choice to play the Black Widow, a role that eventually went to Scarlett Johansson when scheduling conflicts forced Blunt out of Iron Man 2. If this report is true, Blunt apparently made an impression on the producers, who are keen work with her.
“They are desperate to have Emily as the villain in the next Iron Man film and will continue to have Gwyneth playing Pepper, though she won’t feature in The Avengers,” the report said.
No mention on who Blunt might play. Iron Man’s gallery of villains isn’t too deep with women, but if Mickey Rourke’s role in Iron Man 2 (which was an amalgamation of a few different enemies) is any indication, Blunt’s role could be an original creation for the movies.
Take this with a grain of salt for now, but Iron Man 3 has been confirmed. Robert Downey Jr. is under contract, and director Jon Favreau has said he will be back. Favreau has also said that he wants to see an updated version of The Mandarin, one of Iron Man’s oldest enemies, in the film. No date has been set, but 2013 has been mentioned.
- Asgardians in suits? Chris Hemsworth eyes lead role in ‘Men in Black’ reboot
- He-Man and the ‘Masters of the Universe’ have found their directors
- Hasbro may not be rebooting Transformers after all
- Bye-bye Beetle? VW says the retro icon will stick around a bit longer
- Dyson may launch a trio of electric cars starting in 2020