Although we don’t yet know which villain will be facing off against Peter Parker in director Marc Webb’s upcoming Spider-Man reboot, we now know that the villain will be portrayed by Welsh actor, Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows). Ifans joins Emma Stone, who was announced as Gwen Stacy last week, and Andrew Garfield, who will be playing Spidey.
Although it is official that Ifans will play the villain in the movie, Sony was mum on exactly which villain that will be. It appears that the movie will be a total reboot, so it could be any villain in the Spidey universe, including a villain that has already been portrayed in the films. So let the speculation begin!
“What sets the Spider-Man villains apart is the complexity of their relationships with Peter Parker.” Webb said in a statement. “Rhys’ incredible ability to embody both warmth and rage makes him the ideal choice for this character.”
Ifans can next be seen as Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Spider-Man is due nationwide in 3D on July 3, 2012.
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’: Everything we know so far
- Here’s how your favorite crusaders roll: The top 10 superhero cars
- For ‘Black Panther’ star Michael B. Jordan, Killmonger isn’t just another villain
- ‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ will hit theaters next year
- From ‘Annihilation’ to ‘Super Troopers 2’: The most anticipated movies of 2018