The teaser for Star Wars: The Force Awakens has been analyzed, debated, and parodied in nearly every imaginable form since its debut just a few weeks ago, so it was only a matter of time until the Saturday Night Live team offered up their own spin on the preview of JJ Abrams’ upcoming sequel to George Lucas’ sci-fi saga.
The SNL parody features the long-running sketch comedy show’s cast — and guest host James Franco — as aging versions of the characters from the original Star Wars series that are returning for The Force Awakens. And the passage of time, it seems, has not been kind to them.
In the bit, Taran Killam plays a hard-of-hearing Han Solo who forgets to shut off the turn signal on the Millennium Falcon, while Leia (played by Bobby Moynihan) can’t figure out how to program R2-D2. Meanwhile, Luke (Franco) relies on a lightsaber that doubles as a walker, and deals with a thyroid problem, “just like my father before me.”
Oh, and no one understands what the heck that droid rolling around on the ball actually is.
You can watch the parody below via Hulu, and catch the real Star Wars: The Force Awakens when the film hits theaters December 18, 2015.
- ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’: Everything we know so far
- Here’s how to watch Star Wars online
- New Star Wars movies will not premiere on Disney’s upcoming streaming service
- Disney reveals epic first picture from Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge attraction
- Disney Plus: Here’s what we know so far about the upcoming streaming service