Samsung isn’t satisfied that its recently announced 18k gold and platinum plated Gear S2 smartwatches strike the right balance between high tech and obscene ostentation. To make sure it tips the scales in the direction of the latter, it has teamed up with jewelry manufacturer de Grisogono to make a limited edition of the Gear S2 covered in black and white diamonds, and a bracelet made from galuchat.
This is Samsung’s first major designer brand partnership on the Gear S2, and it hasn’t gone for half measures; the de Grisogono watch is flashy enough to make oligarchs blush. That’s rose gold you see on the body, and there are 100 black and white diamonds pressed into the bezel, all of which is finished off with that deep black galuchat strap. Wondering what galuchat is? It’s a favorite of de Grisogono, and another name for shark or stingray skin.
Samsung and de Grisogono have also produced dedicated custom watch faces, much like TAG Heuer has for the TAG Heuer Connected. There are two available, one in black and the other in a mottled silver, both with two additional ‘dials,’ showing either day/night, a small seconds counter, a power-reserve meter, or a moon phase dial.
Now you know the luxury status, the cool style, and the specs on Samsung’s de Grisogono Gear S2, so how about the price? Samsung’s not saying, but the old adage of if you have to ask, you probably can’t afford it likely applies.
- The Nothing Phone is finally coming to the U.S., and I can’t wait
- When is my phone getting Android 13? Google, Samsung, OnePlus, and more
- The Pixel Watch reminds me why I love smartwatches, but don’t love it
- Wearing the Galaxy Watch 5 showed me just how basic the Pixel Watch really is
- Don’t update your Galaxy Watch 4, or you may accidentally kill it