There’s some debate as to whether PDF files or ePUBs are easier to read. Some say that PDFs produce less eye strain and provide a more aesthetically pleasing experience because PDFs are restricted to showing pages as they were originally saved, omitting adjustments for images, font size, and other page aspects. On the other hand, some prefer ePUB’s flexibility. ePUBs allow text size to adjust to the dimensions of your tablet or eReader’s screen, while retaining the original formatting and layout.
Whatever your preference, some devices, like iPads, offer native support for ePUBs, but none for PDFs. Also, there are a number of situations where ePUBs are the preferred file format. With that in mind, we offer the following guide on how to convert PDFs to ePUBs.
Calibre is a great eBook reader for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and includes a file conversion feature among its suite of tools. Here’s how to convert a PDF to ePUB using Calibre.
- Drag and drop the PDF you want to convert into Calibre, and click the “Convert E-books” button at the top of the screen.
- Select the file’s current format, and the format you want to convert it to (ePUB, in this case).
- Make sure all the data to the right of the eBook’s cover is correct. Then, click “OK,” and conversion will begin.
- After conversion has completed, you’ll be able to put the file on your eReader.
Online-convert.com is one of the more reliable Web-based options out there, and you can use it to convert a wide variety of file types. Aside from converting PDFs to ePUBs, you can also convert DOCX files to DOC, for example. Here’s how to turn a PDF into an ePUB, using Online-convert.com.
- Find the PDF file you want to convert by clicking “Choose File.” Feel free to fill out any optional settings you want, such as a change to the book title.
- Click “Convert file,” and the file should get saved to your designated folder as an ePUB once conversion is done.
ePUBator for Android allows you to convert PDFs on your phone or tablet. It’s easy to use too.
- Open the app and tap “Convert.”
- Locate the folder on your phone that contains the PDF you want to convert.
- Tap the desired PDF.
- Conversion should begin automatically. Once it’s complete, tap “OK.” The new ePUB file should be located in the same exact folder as the original PDF. If you want to halt conversion for whatever reason, you can tap “Stop” during the process.
What do you think of our guide to converting PDF files to ePUB? Which program do you prefer? Let us know in the comments below.