So you’ve got a movie in AVI format, but you want to put it on a disc so you can watch it through your DVD player. Sounds easy, right? The only problem is that you can’t just burn the AVI file to a disc. Well, technically you can, but your DVD player wouldn’t be able to read it. So, in order to get your AVI movie to play in your DVD player, you need to convert the file into a format that your machine can understand. Below, we’ll cover an extremely simple, cross-platform method that will get the job done in just a few minutes.
However, before we jump right into the tutorial, you should take a moment to determine if burning a DVD is necessary in the first place. There’s more than one way to skin a cat, and nine times out of ten burning a disc isn’t the easiest option you have for getting that AVI movie onto your TV. If the only piece of hardware you have in your home theater is a DVD or Blu-ray player, then go ahead and skip to the next section and read the tutorial. But if you’ve got any kind of gaming console or set-top streaming box, burning a DVD probably isn’t your best option. All of the following devices will play AVI files, so if you’ve got one, all you need to do is pop that movie onto a flash drive, plug it in to the USB port in the back, and hit play.
Nintendo Wii (via SD card)
|Boxee Box/Boxee TV
WD Live TV
Don’t have one of the devices listed above? Perhaps you’ve got a different set-top box like a Roku, Apple TV, or even just an old laptop lying around. If that’s the case, there are still ways to stream movies to your TV without having to go through the tedious process of burning a DVD. By installing UPnP software on your computer, you can wirelessly stream movies to most DLNA devices (smart TVs, streaming boxes, etc.). We won’t go into detail on how to do this here, but if you’ve got any kind of DLNA device in your house, we recommend trying out Plex or XMBC for starters.
How to Convert AVI to DVD
The following method uses cross-platform software, meaning it will work for most Windows, Mac, and Linux PC’s. There are dozens of other options out there, but we chose this one because it’s incredibly simple to use and works on any computer.
1. Download a copy of DVD Styler.
2. Complete the installation process and open the program.
3. Once you’re inside, click Create New Project in the welcome dialog, or just click on this button:
- Enter a disc label.
- Select the capacity for your DVD. (Check the package to find the capacity. If it’s more than 4.7 GB, it’s dual layer. If not, it’s single layer.)
- Choose the appropriate video format: If you live in North America or Japan, choose NTSC.
- Set the aspect ratio: 4.3 for fullscreen, 16.9 for widescreen.
- Select the Audio format: We recommend using AC3.
- Hit OK.
4. Add your AVI file by clicking the File Browser tab on the left side of the window and finding your movie, or just click this button:
5. Select your AVI movie and drag it into the Tileset Manager at the bottom of the screen.
6. If you wish, you may design a custom menu screen, but this isn’t necessary to create a working DVD, so we won’t cover it here.
7. Save your project by clicking the Save button, which looks like this:
8. Burn your movie to a disk by inserting one into your disc drive and clicking the Burn button:
That’s it! Having trouble converting your AVI files to DVD? Leave a comment and we’ll try to help sort things out!