Research company Hitwise found that Christmas Day was indeed merry for Facebook, as one in every 22 online visits was to the social networking site, the busiest day it has ever experienced, the BBC reports.
Robin Goad from Hitwise speculated that people were using Facebook to contact friends and relatives over the holidays instead of more traditional methods:
"Christmas is always a busy time for social networking sites, but the increase this year was higher than expected.
"After the boom of these sites in the last couple of years growth is now slowing down."
"But these figures prove they’re becoming central to people for keeping in touch with loved ones."
- While prepping for new Privacy Center, Facebook shares how data is handled
- Google is celebrating female developers by highlighting their apps
- Honda delivers ‘The Ultimate Get-Well Card’ to sick kids via augmented reality
- What is fake news? How to spot it in an age of misinformation
- You’re going to need these bloody mary recipes