The Final Fantasy series has spanned decades, with the 16th mainline title announced, plus dozens of spinoff titles across dozens of consoles. The series was one of the first to establish many of the conventions JRPGs would be known for and also revolutionized those systems with nearly every installment. It isn’t just the combat that made this series so popular for all this time, though. The story, worlds, and characters have kept players invested for hundreds of hours.
While Final Fantasy remains the biggest name in the JRPG market, that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of other high-quality games that have a similar feel to these classic adventures. Whether you like classic turn-based battles, more action-focused titles, or just want a gripping story to sink dozens of hours into, there are more options than you might think there are outside of this series. If you’re looking for something similar to scratch that itch, or perhaps find a new series that can hold you over until the latest entry drops, we’ve rounded up the best games like Final Fantasy you can play right now.
- The best RPG games you can play right now
- The 10 best JRPGs of all time developed by Japanese studios
- The best Final Fantasy games, ranked from best to worst
This game is a lost gem from the ’90s that most people never even heard of when Nintendo announced it was bringing it back, giving it the HD-2D treatment, and putting it on the Switch. This was the clear inspiration for games like Octopath Traveler, as the story focuses on seven distinct characters in their own mini-stories set across time and space. Each one plays very differently but culminates in a fantastic conclusion that ties all their stories together.
- Redfall: release date, trailers, gameplay, and more
- Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit’s studio has made an AR Hot Wheels game
- Minecraft Legends: Release date, trailers, gameplay, and more
- How to use PS5 voice commands
- Every video game delay that has happened in 2023 so far