Ubisoft’s Rabbids, the adorably evil bunnies at the heart of the publisher’s Rayman Raving Rabbids series, are set to star in a feature-length motion picture of their very own. The news comes via press release, which confirms that Ubisoft Motion Pictures will partner with Sony Pictures Entertainment on the project.
“Sony Pictures has tremendous experience developing hybrid live-action-and-animated blockbusters for audiences around the world, which makes them a natural fit for what we want to achieve with a Rabbids film,” UMP executive director Jean-Julien Baronnet said in a prepared statement. “This deal deepens our partnership with Sony Pictures and highlights our holistic approach to bringing Ubisoft’s brands to new audiences while still maintaining the brands’ creative integrity.”
The diabolical bunny rabbits are already the stars of their own Nickelodeon animated TV series, Rabbids Invasion. The show launched in August 2013 and its first season finale is set to air this year. It’s already been renewed for a second season, which will kick off sometime in mid-2014.
There’s no word on when the movie might be coming or what kind of story it is meant to tell, but Ubisoft Motion Pictures will “actively participate in the film’s production.” It’s one of many video game properties that is currently either being developed or in active production by Hollywood. We’ve been keeping a running tally if you want to know what else is out there.
- Tipping point? Streaming subscribers outnumbered cable in 2018 for first time
- Bringing realism to VR is complex, but these developers found a way in holograms
- Oscars 2019: Bohemian Rhapsody, Black Panther win big as Green Book shocks
- How Laika blends 3D printing and CGI to make mesmerizing stop-motion movies
- This sleek new exoskeleton makes walking easier, fits under your clothes