Skip to main content

Unidentified hackers threaten Sony with third attack

Anonymous-Sony-hackers-hack-psn
Image used with permission by copyright holder

It ain’t over till it’s over: A group of unidentified hackers is reportedly planning a third attack against Sony, which is still trying to clean up a security breach that left the personal data of more than 77 million PlayStation Network and Qriocity gamers exposed and the network itself in shambles.

According to CNet, an “observer” of an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channel used by the hackers oversaw the group’s planning of another attack against Sony’s website. The source says that the group already has access to Sony’s servers, and intends to publish online whatever information it obtain from those servers. That, says the source, could include customer names, credit card numbers and addresses.

It is not yet clear whether the hacker group is, in fact, that of Anonymous, which recently waged a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against Sony’s websites in retaliation against the electronics giant’s lawsuit against PlayStation 3 jailbreaker George “GeoHot” Hotz. But, of course, Anonymous is the first suspect that comes to mind.

Earlier this week, Sony issued a letter to Congress in response to questions about the massive security breach of the PlayStation Network that put 12.6 million credit card numbers at risk. In the letter, Sony board chairman Kazuo Hirai said that the company’s security team had found two files — one labeled “Anonymous, the other labeled with the Anonymous slogan “We are legion” — on its servers. While Sony admits that it has no idea whether Anonymous is the same group who broke into their system, the company places the blame on Anonymous.

“Whether those who participated in the denial of services attacks were conspirators or whether they were simply duped into providing cover for a very clever thief, we may never know,” wrote Hirai in the letter. “In any case, those who participated in the denial of serve attacks should understand that – whether they knew it or not – they were aiding a well planned, well executed, large-scale theft that left not only Sony a victim, but also Sony’s many customers around the world.”

Anonymous, which called off its “Operation Sony” DDoS attack days before the PSN breach took place, has firmly and repeatedly denied having played a role in the PlayStation Network breach, and says any evidence that they were involved is the work of their enemies.

“Whoever broke into Sony’s servers to steal the credit card info and left a document blaming Anonymous clearly wanted Anonymous to be blamed for the most significant digital theft in history. No one who is actually associated with our movement would do something that would prompt a massive law enforcement response,” writes Anonymous spokesman Barrett Brown in a press release published Wednesday afternoon. “On the other hand, a group of standard online thieves would have every reason to frame Anonymous in order to put law enforcement off the track. The framing of others for crimes has been a common practice throughout history.”

With the threat of a new attack hanging in the air, Sony is already working frantically to clean up the mess that hackers already created. Thursday, Sony CEO Howard Stringer issued a letter of apology to PSN users, saying that he and the company are sorry “for the inconvenience and concern caused by this attack,” and that Sony has “teams working around the clock and around the world to restore your access to those services as quickly, and as safely, as possible.”

In addition, Sony has announced that it will offer US users of the PSN identity theft protection free for one year through the AllClear ID Plus service.

Sony’s problems don’t stop with customers, however. Today, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman issued Sony a subpoena over the breach and resulting data theft.

Andrew Couts
Former Digital Trends Contributor
Features Editor for Digital Trends, Andrew Couts covers a wide swath of consumer technology topics, with particular focus on…
The Run: Got Next is a vibrant spiritual successor to NBA Street
Zamboni in The Run: Got Next.

The Run: Got Next is a new vibrant street basketball game from former EA developers who worked on series like NBA Street, Madden, and Dead Space.

Its developer is Play by Play Studios, which former Visceral Games General Manager Scott Probst and Madden creative director Mike Young formed two years ago. In a blog penned by Probst, the studio reminisces about an era of sports games free of needlessly complex simulations, grinding, and Ultimate Team-fueled microtransactions. "We're not going to worry about overly complex menus, micromanagement of rosters, the opening of packs, or playing a game that feels like I'm watching a broadcast ...We're gonna double down on the fun and get you into the game, and we're gonna do it with style," writes Probst.

Read more
Helldivers 2’s first major update cranks up the difficulty
helldivers 2 major update escalation freedom impaler

Helldivers 2 - Escalation of Freedom Announcement Trailer | PS5 & PC Games

Helldivers 2 has received a bunch of updates since it launched in February, but developer Arrowhead Game Studios is about to release its biggest yet. The studio announced Tuesday that the upcoming update, Escalation of Freedom, will launch on August 6 and seeks to add more challenges.

Read more
Is XDefiant cross-platform?
XDefiant

Ubisoft's latest shooter is looking to break into the very competitive free-to-play market with XDefiant. This is a third-party studio that very rarely releases any of its games on a single platform, and a multiplayer shooter like this needs to be available in as many places as possible to succeed. However, if it doesn't have cross-platform support, then it might as well be exclusive since the player base will be split regardless.

Has XDefiant made the critical error of not having any cross-platform support, or can you pick up this game knowing you will be able to find a match easily? Let's find out.
Is XDefiant cross-platform?
Yes, XDefiant is thankfully fully cross-platform between PC, Xbox Series X, and PlayStation 5. That makes it all the easier to convince a friend to give it a try since it costs nothing and you can all play together even if you don't have the same console. You also have the option to turn off cross-play if you prefer to stick to only matching up against others on your system. A future update is also planned to allow console players to exclude PC players from cross-play to remove any advantages they may have using keyboard and mouse over controllers.

Read more