The highest-grossing film of the year so far, Guardians of the Galaxy, has won over critics and audiences alike with its cosmic adventure featuring a misfit group of would-be saviors of the universe — but that hasn’t stopped it from getting the “Honest Trailers” treatment.
The team at Screen Junkies that produces the popular series of trailer parodies brutally critiquing popular films (or entire franchises of films) does indeed find some things to ridicule about the celebrated sci-fi adventure, including the similarities between the protagonists of Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers — calling the film “Marvel’s Space Avengers” at one point. The just-shy-of-five-minute video also jokes that the existence and subsequent success of the film and its obscure cast of characters proves that at this point, audiences will watch pretty much anything made by Marvel Studios.
Still, the “Honest Trailers” team admits early on in their Guardians of the Galaxy dissection that “We’re really reaching here. This was a fun movie.”
And it’s a pretty fun critique of the movie, too.
You can watch previous installments of Screen Junkies’ “Honest Trailers” series at the show’s official YouTube channel.
- From ‘Annihilation’ to ‘Super Troopers 2’: The most anticipated movies of 2018
- Everything we know about ‘Deadpool 2’
- Marvel has 20 more movies planned, with many story arcs ending in ‘Avengers 4’
- From Aquaman to Steppenwolf, here’s everything we know about ‘Justice League’
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’: Everything we know so far