Captain America: The Winter Soldier currently ranks as one of 2014’s highest-grossing films, so it’s no surprise that there’s a lot of speculation surrounding its sequel — particularly which supporting characters will appear in the film alongside Steve Rogers (Chris Evans). According to Jeremy Renner, Marvel’s superhero marksman Hawkeye may have a role in the third installment of the soldier-turned-superhero’s solo franchise.
“I think he’s a utility guy that can bounce around into other people’s universes a little bit, especially ‘Cap 3,'” Renner told MTV News in a recent interview. “There’s whispers of that.”
After making his debut in Thor and playing a less-than-heroic role in much of The Avengers, Renner’s Hawkeye has been one of the most under-used lead characters in Marvel’s cinematic universe. He was conspicuously absent in The Winter Soldier, but he’ll return in Avengers: Age Of Ultron — and beyond that is anyone’s guess.
Still, Renner says he’s content not to have a solo Hawkeye film in the works like many of his fellow Avengers actors.
“I’m happy to be the ensemble,” he told MTV. “I’m not scratching or clawing to do a solo movie by any means.”
Avengers: Age Of Ultron hits theaters May 1, 2015. The third installment of the Captain America franchise is currently scheduled to premiere a year later on May 6, 2016.
- Marvel’s Falcon and Winter Soldier to team up for a Disney streaming series
- Avengers 4: Everything we know about the ‘Infinity War’ sequel
- Scarlett Johansson lands humongous paycheck for ‘Black Widow’ solo movie
- ‘Captain Marvel’: Everything we know about the movie so far
- ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’: Everything we know about the ‘Homecoming’ sequel