Critical appraisal of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is pretty evenly split, but mainstream audiences had no problem embracing the 2014 sequel that pitted Andrew Garfield’s web-slinging wallcrawler against multiple villains in a fast-paced adventure that let the actor cut loose as the high-flying, eternally quipping superhero. That was particularly apparent in the opening sequence from the film, which featured Spider-Man chasing down a hijacked Oscorp truck full of plutonium being driven by a mad Russian criminal played by Paul Giamatti.
With the home-video release of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 looming this month, Sony has released that full sequence online for all to see — and it’s well worth watching.
Not only does the sequence offer a great example of director Marc Webb’s unique, kinetic, and just plain exciting visual take on Spider-Man and his abilities, but it also features one of the weirdest, most wonderfully crazed roles Giamatti has ever played. The interaction between Garfield and Giamatti is just, well… you have to see it to understand why it’s so wild.
Along with Garfield and Giamatti, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 stars Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan, Campbell Scott, Embeth Davidtz, Colm Feore, Sally Field, and B.J. Novak. It arrives on DVD and Blu-ray August 19, and will be available digitally this week.
- The third DLC for ‘Spider-Man’ swings onto PlayStation 4 next week
- Avengers 4 teaser trailer has finally arrived: Prepare for ‘Avengers: Endgame’
- ‘House of Cards’ season 6 trailer has Claire defending her destiny
- A month after its release, iOS 12 reaches the 50 percent mark in Apple devices
- ‘Darksiders III’ gets its own Fury-led ASMR series, and it’s weird