Skip to main content

Vessel, the subscription YouTube alternative opens with year free trial

vessel opens to public
Image used with permission by copyright holder
After launching an invite-only beta earlier this year, Vessel, the new subscription video site from former Hulu CEO Jason Kilar, is now officially open to the public. As a bonus, if you sign up in the next three days you’ll get a year-long subscription to the site — which normally costs $3 a month — for free.

Offering a full year of free access up front seems like a good idea, as Vessel may be a hard sell for some. The new website’s big draw is that it will feature videos from top YouTube stars a full 72 hours before they’re available to watch on YouTube for free. Paying a subscription fee for non-exclusive content isn’t exactly commonplace, so the new service will likely need all the help it can get.

Why would YouTube creators want to go to the hassle of maintaining videos on another, less popular website? Revenue. To start, Vessel is offering creators $7 for every fan converted to a Vessel subscriber.

Then there is the payment structure itself. In addition to the standard ad revenue, Vessel also offers creators a cut of the subscription fees. The company keeps 40 percent of subscription fees, while the remaining 60 percent is divided between creators, based on how much time users spend with each piece of content. Kilar says that this, combined with the ad revenue, could earn creators far more per thousand views than they would earn on YouTube.

Vessel is taking a gamble, but considering Kilar’s background it would seem that he knows what he’s doing. Increasingly, fans seem happy — even eager — to make sure their favorite creators are compensated for their work. The artist crowdfunding site Patreon is thriving, as are many of the creators using the service, and that same approach may work for Vessel.

In keeping with the site’s theme of early access, the year-long free trial is only available for the next 72 hours, according to the Vessel blog, so if you want to see what the service is about, now is the time to give it a look.

Editors' Recommendations

Kris Wouk
Former Digital Trends Contributor
Kris Wouk is a tech writer, gadget reviewer, blogger, and whatever it's called when someone makes videos for the web. In his…
3 great free movies to watch on Valentine’s Day
A man performs on stage with a woman in The Illusionist.

? THE ILLUSSIONIST (2006) | Full Movie Trailer in HD | 1080p

An old saying claims, "the best things in life are free." That usually doesn't include love. Love is expensive, especially around Valentine's Day, which usually involves spending lots of money on lavish dinners, expensive flowers, and rich candy.

Read more
Bills vs Steelers live stream: Can you watch the game for free?
A quarterback runs and throw the ball in an NFL game.

Both just four wins away from securing the ultimate NFL prize, the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers meet in just an hour in an AFC Wild Card showdown. The game starts at 3:30 PM ET today, Monday, January 14, after yesterday's original 1 PM start was rescheduled due to bad weather, and will be televised nationally on CBS, but if you don't have cable or can't get to a TV, there are several ways you can watch a live stream of the game, including a handful of free options. Here's a guide on everything you need to know to watch the Bills vs Steelers online in the US.
The Best Way to Watch Bills vs Steelers

Fubo is going to give you exactly what you need here. Not only does it include your local CBS channel in Buffalo and Pittsburgh, but it has it available live in more markets than any other streaming service. Additionally, Fubo's "Pro" plan includes 180-plus total channels for plenty of other sports and entertainment, 1,000 hours of cloud DVR in case you want to record and watch the game later, and the ability to stream simultaneously on 10 different screens at home. And perhaps most importantly, it comes with a free seven-day trial so you can watch the Bills vs Steelers and the rest of the NFL playoff games this weekend at no cost.

Read more
How to download a video from Facebook
An elderly person holding a phone.

Facebook is a great place for sharing photos, videos, and other media with friends and family. But what if you’d like to download a video to store offline? This means you’d be able to watch the clip on your PC or mobile device, without needing to be connected to the internet. Fortunately, there’s a way to download Facebook videos to your everyday gadgets, although it’s not as straightforward a process as it could be.

Read more