Black Friday deals are here today after weeks of early teaser sales. That means major retailers like Best Buy and Walmart are now offering big discounts on some must-have items like iPads, MacBooks, and TVs. Those offers are also extending to more practical items too, like the huge variety of excellent dash cams on sale at great prices. There’s no risk in purchasing now either, with many merchants saying that prices will remain the same through the end of the month. It’s the perfect time to enjoy the benefits now.
With so many dash cam deals dropping today, it’s important to know what your budget is and to stick to it. It’s not a great deal if you can’t afford it! After you know your budget, check out our best dash cams for 2020 feature so you can explore what the best of the best are. We’re big fans of Garmin dash cams, with makes like Owl and Waylens also offering neat features.
Next up, consider why you want to buy a dash cam. Dash cams are a great way to help you feel a little safer on the road, capturing footage of anything nefarious that may happen to you while you’re driving or even while your car is parked. It’s also a fun way of capturing some unintentionally funny footage that you can upload online to share with friends and followers. Don’t forget — if you’re simply looking for a fun gadget for your car, there are plenty of other cool car gadgets to consider too.
In both cases, it’s important to check the quality of the footage recorded by the dash cam. The higher quality the better, but you’ll need an SD card that can store plenty of footage. Ultimately, if you just need one to shoot fun videos, the quality might not matter as much as it would be if you’re buying a dash cam for safety reasons. Generally, it’s worth favoring a dash cam that has a loop function if you’re short on space as they automatically overwrite older footage when you hit your capacity limit.
Don’t forget to check out the dash cam’s installation instructions. Most can be installed yourself, but it’s a smart idea to double-check beforehand and possibly arrange for your local mechanic to help out before you commit.
More advanced dash cams also offer time-lapse features so you can create entertaining time-lapse clips, but you might not need this if you’re solely focused on safety features. Some advanced dash cams like the Garmin Speak even function with voice assistants like Alexa if that’s something you want. That said, don’t be afraid to stick to the basics if that’s all you need — it’ll save you money in the long term.
Finally, if you are worried about the safety of your car, especially overnight, look out for dash cams that offer night-vision technology. It’s not perfect and won’t be as clear as in broad daylight, but it can be useful if you’re in a jam.
Black Friday is the last big sales event of the year. If you’re looking to get a new dash cam and upgrade your car’s security, then your final chance to get one at a major discount may be right now. After this, you’ll have to wait till next year for another major sales event like this. Online shoppers are also in luck — most big retailers are offering their Black Friday dash cam deals online now (and all their other holiday deals in general), so you can get shopping right now. Remember not to wait too long — Black Friday demand is already reaching new highs this year, so the earlier you start shopping for a new dash cam, the sooner you’ll get your goods.
- Amazon Black Friday: Amazon often has great offers on dash cams, and this is the case even more so during Black Friday.
- Best Buy Black Friday: With a price guarantee that means you get the best price even if Best Buy drops the price, this retailer is a surefire hit at the moment.
- Target Black Friday: Target is offering tons of great Black Friday deals and you can currently get up to $50 off on select dash cams.
- Walmart Black Friday: Like Best Buy, Walmart is offering to refund the difference should they drop prices more between now and the end of the day, so there’s no risk here.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.
- How to take a screenshot on a Chromebook
- Quantum clocks and e-pistols: The ultra-precise timekeeping of the Tokyo Games
- One of the best true wireless earbuds (Sony ANCs) are super cheap today
- The best cheap tablets under $200
- The 20 best new movies to stream on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO