Read our full Destiny review.
Activision announced on Wednesday that it sold in more than $500 million in copies of Destiny to retailers and first parties around the world on day one. As such, Destiny now enjoys the distinction of having the largest video game franchise launch in history. At least, to retailers. We don’t yet know the sell through of the game.
The game launched at midnight on September 9 at 11,000 different locations around the world. The company added that Destiny is also the highest-selling day one digital console release in history.
“Based on extraordinary audience demand, retail and first party orders worldwide have exceeded $500 million for Destiny,” Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard said in a statement. “This industry milestone marks another blockbuster success for our company and demonstrates our unique ability to create some of the most successful entertainment franchises in the world. The success of Destiny, along with the recent introduction of Blizzard Entertainment’s Hearthstone, is further validation of our unique capabilities to create great entertainment franchises from the ground up.”
The company added that it thinks Destiny has the potential to be its next billion dollar franchise. Our first impression of the game was positive and a full review is forthcoming.
- Tune in or lose out: Why we’re clearing our schedules for ‘appointment gaming’
- Bungie outlines its plan for ‘Destiny 2’ content through May
- ‘Destiny 2’ Legendary Shards guide: What they are and how to get them
- 5 romantic gestures you can make to your significant other in video games
- Huawei’s letting the $800 Mate 10 Pro speak for itself in U.S. release