Sony pops up every few months with a new showcase that highlights titles coming to PlayStation platforms. While fans were hoping for a full-fledged PlayStation Showcase this month as State of Play presentations took place in March and June, Sony decided to hold another State of Play on September 13 ahead of Tokyo Game Show to highlight games coming to PS4, PS5, and PlayStation VR2. As the June State of Play featured the likes of Street Fighter 6, Final Fantasy XVI, and Resident Evil 4’s remake, this presentation had a lot to live up to.
While it wasn’t as impressive, lasting 20 minutes and featuring 10 games, every title shown looked intriguing in its own way. In particular, we got a look at the next Tekken game and an exciting trailer for God of War: Ragnarok ahead of its release in November. This is every announcement that PlayStation made during the September 2022 State of Play.
The announcement that kicked off the show was Tekken 8. We saw some cutscenes and gameplay featuring Jin Kazama and Kazuya Mishima, and it looks just as impactful and satisfying as ever. In a PlayStation Blog post, Katsuhiro Harada explained that this content was taken straight from the game’s story mode, and runs at 50 frames per second. It has no release date but is confirmed for PS5.
Rya Ga Gotoku: Ishin is getting a full remake treatment. This game was released for PS3 and PS4 in the early 2010s but never came to North America or Europe as the Yakuza series was not yet popular in the West at the time. It’s now titled Like a Dragon: Ishin!, remade with Unreal Engine 4, and will be released for PS4 and PS5 in February 2023.
To wrap up the show, Sony revealed that a limited-edition DualSense wireless controller based on the next God of War game is launching on November 8 before providing a deeper look at God of War: Ragnarok. We saw more interactions between Kratos, Tyr, and Atreus, as well as some new gameplay featuring the awe-inspiring fantasy enemies and set pieces players will encounter during the game. God of War: Ragnarok launches on November 9.
- Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge Enhanced Edition is coming to PlayStation VR2.
- Demeo is coming to PlayStation VR2.
- Hogwarts Legacy is getting a PlayStation-exclusive quest.
- Pacific Drive, the debut game from Ironwood Studio, was announced.
- Sony explained how PlayStation Stars works and confirmed that it will start rolling out in various regions later this month.
- Bandai Namco announced a new mecha game called Synduality.
- PlayStation will publish Stellar Blade, which debuted at last year’s PlayStation Showcase as Project EVE, and it will launch in 2023.
- Sony Interactive Entertainment is publishing Rise of the Ronin from Koei Tecmo Games’ Team Ninja as a PS5 exclusive in 2024.
- This console generation isn’t about games or hardware. It’s about services
- Move over Zelda: Tchia is officially my most anticipated game of 2023
- CES 2023: Gran Turismo 7 is coming to PS VR2 as a launch game
- 2023 could be PlayStation’s most radically reinventive year yet
- Elden Ring, Modern Warfare II discounted in big PlayStation holiday sale