The Xbox One will soon be able to use external storage, according to a Reddit post from Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb . Beyond that, no significant details were released.
“External game storage is coming soon….I need to check on media support,” Hryb posted.
There was once a time when a 500GB hard drive – like those that now come standard in an Xbox One – seemed almost unnecessarily large. But with mandatory installation games weighing in now at as much as 50 GBs, not to mention the rise of digital distribution, the demand for external storage is becoming hard to ignore.
Without more details, the news is interesting, but little more than a tease. There is no date for when we can expect the update and no sense of what kinds of drives or storage capacities will be supported. The continued lack of support for accessing media (such as music) from external sources like USB drives continues to be a big question. Hopefully, Hryb will report back with something positive to say on that count.
- Nintendo Switch vs. Xbox One: Can the new hybrid best the established console?
- Xbox One S vs. Xbox One X: Is the costly upgrade worth the money?
- How to delete and reinstall games on your Xbox One
- Microsoft reportedly planning to unveil next-gen Xbox consoles at E3 2019
- How to record a gameplay video on Xbox One