If your older TV is looking a bit sad and you want a way to soup it up, like being able to stream directly from your favorites services like Netflix of Disney+, you don’t need to shell out for a whole new TV. A streaming device like a Google Chromecast can plug into our TV using an HDMI port, and add all sorts of new capabilities to your old model. These devices are affordable, and they work with basically any TV with an HDMI port. To help you find a great deal on a Chromecast, we’ve rounded up some of the best deals available below.
- Chromecast with Google TV (4K) — $50
- Google Nest Mini Smart Speaker with Google Assistant and Chromecast Media Player — $65, was $80
- Google Chromecast (3rd Gen) and Google Home Mini Smart Speaker (1st Gen) — $65, was $70
- Google Chromecast (3rd Gen) and Google Nest Mini Smart Speaker (2nd Gen) — $65, was $80
- Jensen JSB-1000 Hi-Res Wireless Speaker with Chromecast — $113, was $140
There are two Chromecast models on the market today, and which one you need will largely come down to what sort of TV you’re hooking it up to. The standard Chromecast, now in its third generation, can stream video content up to a resolution of 1080p; the new Chromecast with Google TV (which has officially replaced the now-discontinued Chromecast Ultra) is capable of 4K HDR streaming, however, so if you have an Ultra HD TV — one that doesn’t have built-in streaming capabilities as almost all modern 4K televisions do — then that’s the one you’ll want to spring for.
Google Chromecast with Google TV also includes a remote, not unlike the Roku family of streaming devices, whereas the regular Chromecast does not. Whichever Chromecast dongle you choose, the only requirement for use is that your TV must have an HDMI port as this is how the Chromecast interfaces with the television.
Chromecast Audio was a unique little dongle that allowed you to stream content such as music and podcasts to any “dumb” speaker, similar to how the other Chromecast players allow you to use a “dumb” TV like a smart TV. Chromecast Audio never quite caught on, however, due to lack of demand for such a device as well as the huge popularity of audio streaming services like Pandora and Spotify. If you’re looking for something like Chromecast Audio, then we recommend the , which offers audio streaming along with Alexa A.I. and a built-in speaker for around the same price.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.
- Best Prime Day gaming headset deals 2021: What to expect
- Best Prime Day gaming deals 2021: What to expect
- Best Prime Day gaming chair deals 2021: What to expect
- The best films on the Criterion Channel right now
- Best Prime Day gaming laptop deals 2021: What to expect