Let’s be honest. A comfortable place to sit when you play video games is not only a luxury, but a necessity. Bad gaming posture across years can increase your risk for arthritis, herniation, upper crossed syndrome, carpal tunnel, long-term back pain, and joint dysfunction, among many other issues.
Gaming chairs are built with ergonomics and adaptability in mind, so they’ll keep you upright and supported regardless of your height or body shape, for gaming or working from home. You can find some good deals on gaming chairs on Cyber Monday, but for the best support and comfort, some of the top models rarely go on sale and will stretch your budget.
We’ve put together a list of the best gaming chairs you can get today, all with ergonomic designs, top-notch support, adjustable features, and the most important trait of them all — a comfortable spot for your bum.
- The best gaming keyboards of 2020
- The best gaming mouse for 2020
- Best PC gaming accessories money can buy in 2020
- The best gaming headsets of 2020
- Back adjusts from 85º to 190º, with lockable or rocking tilt support
- Removable headrest cushion and 4D adjustable armrests
- Reinforced PVC leather for long-lasting support
- Easy assembly
- Comes in a variety of colored stripes
- Too firm for some people
Our top pick for best gaming chair, this gaming chair stands the test of time, thanks to durable leather and molded foam that will keep its orthopedic shape over time while cheaper chairs would sag and flatten.
If you can find it in stock — a difficult task with this overwhelmingly popular model — it will cost you far less than other chairs that are modeled after car seats. While the GT Omega Pro Series may feel somewhat firm, this will keep your posture healthy.
- 180-degree back recline, adjustable lumbar support, and tilt lock/control mechanism
- Easy assembly
- Seats up to 330 pounds
- Endorsed by eSports players
- Generous warranty — 5 years on chair and 10 years on frame
- Too firm for some people
If you’re looking for a chair you can have for the long haul, AKRacing has a generous warranty that covers both the chair and the frame for up to five years. Its price falls into the midrange ($200-$500), but considering the quality and long life span, it’s definitely worth the investment.
Endorsed by professional gamers in Fortnite, Battlefield, Counter-Strike, and Hearthstone, the AKRacing Core Series EX is also one of the best gaming chairs for e-sports players.
- Breathable mesh/foam material
- Full recline, adjustable sacrum and lumbar support, and tilt lock/control mechanism
- Promotes circulation
- Comes in three sizes
- Very expensive
- Adjustable parts cost more money
- Uninspired color selection
- Long delivery times
If you’re willing to dish out the money for a top-tier gaming seat, then this gaming chair is the best you can get. It’s built for the sole purpose of providing top-quality ergonomic comfort and support, and it can be tailored to add more lumbar support or “PostureFit” tech.
Herman Miller prices its chairs at a premium — it just launched a new $1,500 collaboration with Logitech — and the Aeron is no exception. If you can find a used Herman Miller Aeron at an office furniture liquidation stores, it could bring it closer to your budget. These extremely durable, ergonomic chairs are a good bet if you prefer a more upright, supported position, or if you almost exclusively use a keyboard and mouse.
- Easy Assembly
- Breathable leather/mesh material
- Not built to last
- Limited adjustability compared to higher-priced alternatives
Not everyone can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a fancy seat for gaming. That’s why we’ve included an option that’s affordable.
The Furmax Office Chair is the best gaming chair for people on a budget, as it’s comfortable, ergonomic, and comes in a variety of colors so you can have the look and feel of a pricey gaming chair but without draining your bank account. Plus, if you do choose black, it won’t look out of place during any office Zoom meetings.
- 165 degree back recline, adjustable lumbar support, and tilt lock/control mechanism
- Taller headrest and wider seat base
- Comes with soft velour head pillow
- Wide range of game-themed special edition chairs
- Can’t handle as much weight as some competitors
Just as the name would suggest, this gaming chair is for perfect for people who require some extra wiggle room. It can handle up to 290 lbs. in weight and is recommended for people between the height of 5’7 and 6’6.
Fully adjustable and ergonomic, the Secret Lab Titan chair also comes with a soft velour headrest, which is a welcome step away from the hard, plastic pillows that come with comparable gaming chairs. You can order chairs with patterns themed after e-sports teams, franchises like Game of Thrones, or games like Overwatch and Cyberpunk 2077.
- Supports up to 440 lbs.
- Thick and wide seat
- Massaging lumbar pillow
- Doesn’t recline all the way back
- 4D armrests aren’t particularly comfortable
Most gaming chairs have varying sizes and accommodate a wide range of bodies, but chairs with maximums in the 260-330 range may technically support overweight gamers, but can be so tight that they squeeze them between the armrests. Plus, the memory foam may not maintain its support for long.
Enter the FantasyLab Big and Tall Gaming Chair, which has a 6-inch seat that can keep its shape even after long sessions. Branded headrest aside, this chair looks more like a large office chair and doesn’t have the visual flair of other gaming chairs, but many buyers will prefer practical comfort above all else.
- 360-degree swiveling base
- Independent back recline and footrest levers
- Side controller pouch and cup holder
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Taller people’s legs will dangle while reclining
- Only reclines up to 135 degrees
Not all gaming chairs need to double as office chairs or sit in front of a computer desk. For a chair you can lounge in while console gaming or watching TV, Respawn’s gaming chair offers great comfort and support. It has a headrest pillow, and the footrest is comfortable to lean your legs against when flat or rest upon when raised up.
The Respawn-900 doesn’t go far back enough for you to sleep in, nor can you roll it around like a typical chair, but you can spin to talk to others in the room, and the strong, unmoving base prevents any wobbling during button mashing. The side storage and cup holder makes it easy to keep your gaming gear nearby and stay hydrated during long, lazy gaming sessions.
- The best co-op games on Nintendo Switch
- The best multiplayer games on Nintendo Switch
- The best Nintendo Switch games for 2022
- The best Pokémon games, ranked from best to worst
- Pokémon Violet and Scarlet are the series’ best bird-watching games