So you know how there’s a fairly solid consensus that misogyny in video games is a rampant problem, and that objectifying women is bad for the industry? Don’t go looking to Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima for help.
On his Twitter feed (which was first spotted by CVG), Kojima stated that he has told Metal Gear environment and character designer Yoji Shinkawa to “make the character more erotic.” But hey, at least he’s doing it for the people, sort of. “The initial target is to make u want to do cosplay or its figurine to sell well.” Well, maybe not.
Kojima’s desire to cater to the cosplay fans is in some ways a noble move. Many cosplayers are gifted artists in their own right, and make the costumes themselves from scratch. Even the those that simply purchase outfits or just throw something together tend to be passionate fans, and are often the lifeblood of the industry. But let’s be clear, what Kojima is talking about is something like this:
Not exactly the cutting edge in military tech. Maybe the ripped up garters are bulletproof. Perhaps she is wearing ballistic underwear. Kojima then went on to note that he asked Shinkawa to erotic-up the character Quiet, the female sniper who will be revealed in full including background info on Friday. He also claimed that she may not even be cosplayable. Let that sink in for a minute.
- Kanye West wants to meet ‘Metal Gear Solid’ creator Hideo Kojima, for some reason
- Tizen 4 arriving on Samsung’s Gear S3 and Gear Sport smartwatches
- Masterwork gear in Destiny 2: Everything you need to know
- This freewheeling Army truck-turned-tiny home is a labor of love
- You could win $475 worth of rugged waterproof gear from Chrome Industries