According to Minecraft’s official website, the game has been purchased more than 8 million times by PC users alone — a sales figure Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson brought attention to this morning.
“The PC version of Minecraft just passed 8 million sales! My face is making grinning sounds, so I assume it’s grinning!” he posted on Twitter.
What makes the numbers even more impressive, however, is that they don’t take into account some of the other platforms on which the game has sold successfully. Minecraft has been purchased more than 4 million times on Xbox Live since it debuted there as a downloadable game in May. On top of that, the mobile version of the game, available for Android and iOS devices, has been purchased more than 700,000 times this year.
Although Persson has stepped away from the game’s continued development, Minecraft still receives regular updates — which will likely keep its fanbase growing for quite a while.
- More than 2 million pirates have set sail in ‘Sea of Thieves’
- ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ still burning rubber after 4 years, tops sales of 90 million
- Nintendo Switch passes lifetime sales of Wii U in less than one year
- Apple aficionado, huh? Here are the 20 best Mac games
- You can sign up for the ‘Fortnite: Battle Royale’ mobile beta right now