Upcoming Japanese role-playing game Persona 5 is coming to PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 in the Americas in 2015, developer Atlus recently confirmed. It is the fifth main installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series of video games, which is itself a subset of the larger Megami Tensei series. The game was already announced for Japanese release in 2013. Little is known about it beyond this cryptic teaser trailer, also just released:
The Persona games center around people with the ability to manifest discrete elements of their psyche as the eponymous Personas, summoning these entities to aid them in combat. The games also frequently feature a juxtaposition between everyday, modern life and a supernatural world of monsters and demons.
Since launching in 1996 on the original PlayStation, the franchise has spawned numerous games for consoles and handheld, along with multiple animes. Prior entries in the series have received spotty localization for Western audiences, but a growing and vocal fan base has meant that more recent releases have come stateside earlier. Most recently the dungeon crawling spin-off Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth came to Nintendo 3DS and the fighting game Persona 4 Arena Ultimax arrived on PS3 and Xbox 360.
- The 20 best PS4 games you can buy right now
- ‘Shadow of the Colossus’ remake studio Bluepoint will restore another game
- ‘Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls’ brings the series to iOS in Japan
- ‘Shadow of the Tomb Raider’ officially announced alongside teaser trailer
- Here’s how to find a ‘Last Guardian’ Easter egg in ‘Shadow of the Colossus’ on PS4