The launch lineup for the PlayStation 5 launch lineup is now a little thinner. Sony has announced Destruction AllStars is delayed to February.
Originally slated to launch alongside the PlayStation 5 on November 12, Sony says the game will instead release next year as part of PlayStation Plus. The game will be available to subscribers for free for two months. The strategy is similar to one that Sony used to release Rocket League in 2015, and more recently with Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout.
According to Sony, all pre-orders for the game will be refunded. That includes physical copies pre-ordered through retailers, as well as digital copies bought via the PlayStation Store.
Sony says more details on the game are coming next week, including a new trailer.
The news comes as a surprise considering the game’s launch was thought to be right around the corner. Just one month ago, Sony opened pre-orders for the game, and announced an $80 deluxe edition that includes skins and in-game currency.
The game was originally announced at Sony’s Future of Gaming livestream in July, but has all but disappeared from presentations since then. The game wasn’t shown at all during the PlayStation 5 release date reveal stream, only being announced as a launch title in a blog post later that day.
The delay leaves the PlayStation 5’s already light launch line-up looking even slimmer. Destruction AllStars was one of the handful of first-party titles coming to the system. Players looking to try a Sony-published title at launch can still pick up Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Demon’s Souls, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure on day one.
- 5G’s big players make bold, exciting predictions for 2022
- The best capture cards for 2022: Xbox, PlayStation, and PC
- The best PS5 controllers
- God of War looks great on PC, but don’t play it with a keyboard and mouse
- Intel’s budget Core i3-12100 outperformed AMD’s Ryzen 5 3600 in many games