Some of us spend our leisure time out on the lake, some of us use it to learn a second language, and there are those who make the effort to painstakingly recreate famous movie scenes in Grand Theft Auto V. Step forward John Chapman and the Legendary Gaming team, who’ve managed to make a decent reconstruction of the well-known chase sequence in Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
Chapman and his team used GTA V‘s multi-player online mode to get all the characters and pieces into place. While it’s not an identical shot-for-shot remake — you can’t zoom in for a close-up in Rockstar’s video game, after all — it’s still an impressive piece of work, and you can tell that a huge amount of time and effort has been poured into this.
“It mostly took a lot of time because I wanted to try to make it exact,” says Chapman on his YouTube channel. “I may have missed some small scenes but we worked hard on this from the actual setting up, to the directing, to the editing.” If you stick around to the end of the clip you can see a few outtakes in a blooper reel, where some of the jumps and crashes didn’t quite come off as intended first time around.
For comparison purposes the original truck chase is embedded below, so you can see just how well the Legendary Gaming team did with their version. The team is taking requests for future videos as well — are there any other famous chases you’d like to see transferred to the Grand Theft Auto world?
- Who cares about loot? For ‘Sea of Thieves,’ Rare hid the real fun in the hijinks
- Get closer. Lee Chapman shares the secrets of his Tokyo street photography
- ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ still burning rubber after 4 years, tops sales of 90 million
- Play while laughing with 8 of our favorite funny video game mods
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far