At this point, it seems like a foregone conclusion that barring any issues with his health or position in elected office, Arnold Schwarzenegger will be an integral part of every Terminator movie that makes it to the screen. Still, it’s good to get some confirmation from the man himself, who recently said he expects to reprise his role next year in the sequel to the upcoming, franchise-rebooting Terminator: Genisys.
According to fan site TheArnoldFans, the actor confirmed his return for at least one of the two Genisys sequels the studio has planned during a recent trip to Budapest. When asked if he’ll appear in the sequel to Terminator: Genisys, Schwarzenegger reportedly replied, “Yes, of course. Next year.”
While his role in the sequel isn’t official at this point — given that Terminator: Genisys is still a few months away from hitting theaters, any talk of sequels is a bit premature — it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Schwarzenegger return for another installment as the T-800 android assassin who has been both the franchise’s villain and hero at various points. The actor even managed to make a brief cameo in 2009’s Terminator Salvation, which was filmed while he was still in office as the Governor of California.
Of course, given how Terminator: Genisys is effectively rebooting the entire Terminator franchise and creating a new continuity for the series, anything is possible.
Terminator: Genisys is directed by Alan Taylor (Thor: The Dark World) and hits theaters July 1, with sequels planned for May 19, 2017, and June 29, 2018.
- Terminator: Dark Fate: Everything we know about the new movie so far
- Terminator: Dark Fate trailer goes all-in on explosive, android-assassin action
- Terminator: Dark Fate’s new assassin is front and center in latest movie poster
- Stallone in Terminator 2? How one deepfake prankster is changing cinema history
- Tom Cruise surprises Comic-Con crowds with first Top Gun: Maverick trailer