And much as with the first trailer, everything we see of Hardcore Henry suggests that the film will have no problem living up to its title.
Produced by Wanted and Night Watch director Timur Bekmambetov and directed by Ilya Naishuller, Hardcore Henry unfolds from the point of view of a man who’s been resurrected from the dead by his scientist wife (The Equalizer‘s Haley Bennett) and turned into a near-indestructible cyborg. Shortly after his resurrection, his wife is kidnapped and Henry must fight his way through wave after wave of hired soldiers to rescue her. He’s assisted on his mission by a mysterious British man named Jimmy, played by District 9 and Elysium actor Sharlto Copley.
If this all sounds familiar to gamers, that’s because Naishuller is an avid video gamer himself, and channeled his love for first-person shooter games into the grand experiment that is Hardcore Henry.
Naishuller first garnered attention for his 2013 short film Bad Motherf–ker, which used first-person perspective to tell a story about a mysterious protagonist’s pursuit of a man carrying a mysterious, glowing device. The five-minute film has been viewed more than 29 million times since it debuted online in March 2013.
Hardcore Henry won the People’s Choice Midnight Madness Award at last year’s Toronto Film Festival and was the subject of a bidding war after its successful premiere there.
Hardcore Henry is scheduled for a limited release in theaters that kicks off April 8.
- Argylle’s first trailer teases action, sex, and Henry Cavill with a bad haircut
- How much storage do you need on your new iPhone 14? Here’s how to decide
- You’ll have to imagine how fun the new OnePlus Nord 2 x Pac-Man phone looks
- Twitter now lets you schedule tweets via its web app. Here’s how to do it
- How often should you clean your gadgets? Probably more than you do