Directed by Peter Chelsom (Shall We Dance?, Serendipity), The Space Between Us chronicles the journey of the first human born on Mars as he attempts to travel to Earth after spending the first 16 years of his life on a scientific research base. Raised by scientists after his astronaut mother dies in childbirth, an online romance with a teenage girl in Colorado prompts him to undertake a dangerous trip to the planet where his mother was born — a world he only knows through the Internet and the various astronauts who make the trip to Mars.
The film casts Ender’s Game and Hugo star Asa Butterfield as Gardner Elliot, the boy born on Mars, and Tomorrowland actress Britt Robertson as the teenage girl on Earth who Gardner develops an online relationship with from the far-off planet. The supporting cast includes Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight), Carla Gugino (Night at the Museum, Watchmen), BD Wong (Jurassic World), and Janet Montgomery (Black Swan).
The film is based on a screenplay penned by 21 and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps writer Allan Loeb, from a story written by Stewart Schill, Richard Barton Lewis, and Loeb.
Filmed almost entirely in Albuquerque, New Mexico, The Space Between Us is scheduled to hit theaters August 19.
- The best romance movies on Netflix (November 2018)
- I loaded my condo with tech — and discovered smart homes still need a lot of work
- The best new movie trailers: ‘Buster Scruggs,’ ‘Missing Link,’ ‘Mowgli’ and more
- The best songs about money
- Behind the Wheel episode 4: Ex-NBA star Martell Webster’s Ferrari 458 Spider