Elden Ring‘s launch month sales have made it the second-most successful gaming release in the past 12 months, behind only Call of Duty: Vanguard, which was released in November 2021. This report comes from Mat Piscatella of the NPD group.
Elden Ring launched last month and quickly took over both consoles and PCs. It released to record-breaking sales almost immediately in the U.K. according to GamesIndustry.biz and is following suit in the U.S..
With such a successful launch, Elden Ring was naturally the bestselling game of February 2022, as well as the entirety of 2022 so far. Piscatella also reports that after one month on the market,
This success was felt even by other releases in the industry. In its second week, Elden Ring‘s sales still managed to overtake that of PlayStation’s Grand Turismo 7 in the U.K. despite its overall sales being down 61% from its launch week, according to gamesindustry.biz.
Elden Ring‘s success isn’t surprising considering its critical reception, but success like this for a very divisive genre can’t be scoffed at.
- Elden Ring 2 deserves the Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom treatment
- Elden Ring’s first DLC, Shadow of the Erdtree, is in development
- Elden Ring developer’s next game is Armored Core VI
- Staff picks: Why Elden Ring is our 2022 game of the year
- Sony and Tencent now own 30% of FromSoftware through stock purchase