When Mario Kart 8 Deluxe released on the Nintendo Switch, it quickly became one of the series’ most popular entries. Yet, many players have experienced issues while playing online. With Nintendo’s latest Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update, multiplayer has been rebalanced and some bugs have been fixed within the game’s online mode.
Just like other entries, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe offers certain advantages to players who fall behind in a race. Slower racers typically receive more offensive items like the blue shell while racers at the front of the pack receive defensive items like banana peels. One of the updates increases the rate of items meant for catching up. Other balance adjustments have also been made. From now on, no more than two piranha plants will be distributed at any given time.
Aside from balancing issues, Nintendo also fixed some of the bugs that crept up online. When a player collects an item, the item wheel will no longer spin continuously. Communication errors while spectating should also occur less frequently.
This is the second update to be released for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since Nintendo removed an offensive gesture a few weeks ago. Much like the update released for Arms earlier this week, Nintendo has been committed to supporting their games after release.
Full patch notes for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Version 1.2 were given by Nintendo and are included below:
- Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibos to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
- Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
- Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
- In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
- Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
- When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
- Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
- Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first-place racer finishes.
- The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
- Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
- It is no longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
- Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.
- The best multiplayer games on Nintendo Switch
- The best Nintendo Switch games for kids
- The best Nintendo Switch deals and bundles for January 2021
- Knock several seconds off your Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs with these shortcuts
- The best racing games of all time