Happy Labor Day 2019. It’s finally Monday, September 2, which means this is your last chance to snag great products with sizable discounts before many of the sales end tonight. While Labor Day was originally organized as a celebration of various labor unions’ contributions to the U.S. economy, it has since become more of a buying holiday for consumers than anything else. With Prime Day in the rearview, and Black Friday still months away, these extended weekend sales create one of the best times to find big savings on whatever you need as the seasons change. The Walmart Labor Day sale and Amazon Labor Day sale are in full swing, with Best Buy savings thrown into the mix as well.
While the best Labor Day sales are traditionally on mattresses, clothing, and outdoor gear, deals have spread across all of the product categories. The amount of online savings centered around three day weekends are pretty overwhelming, so we’ve put together a helpful guide to navigating the deals. Whether you’re in the market for a glorious new 4K TV, Microsoft Surface laptop, Apple Watch, Google Pixel 3 smartphone, or just a huge pile of new clothes, Labor Day is an excellent time to find discounts.
Best Labor Day sales Today
- 4K TV deals: If there’s one thing that is always discounted during the holiday’s, it’s TVs. Sony, LG, Vizio, and Samsung smart TVs are all on sale right now.
- iPad Deals: If you’ve been waiting to buy a new Apple tablet, many of the most enticing deals have already arrived. Walmart and Amazon have already begun dropping prices on iPads, iPad minis, and iPad Pros.
- Apple Watch Deals: Another great sale item to take advantage of right now are the big discounts on Apple Watches. Amazon, in particular, is offering up to $150 off the Series 3.
- XPS 13 laptop. The computing retailer is offering more than just laptop savings this year. With big discounts on 4K TVs, wireless headphones, and computers, there are plenty of price cuts to peruse — including the impressive
- HP Sale: Printers, Spectre x360 laptops, and 4K monitors are all getting big discounts as we head into the weekend.
- If you’re looking for a decent laptop for work or for play, Lenovo is offering substantial savings on everything you need. ThinkPad X1 Carbon and Yoga laptop deals are definitely worth a look
- REI Sale: The outdoor retailer is hosting its annual Labor Day shopping extravaganza a bit early this year, with massive discounts on everything from electric bikes to smartwatches.
- Tuft and Needle Sale: If you’re looking to find an affordable mattress at an even more affordable price for Labor Day, Tuft and Needle has already dropped discounts on its signature Mint mattress.
- Amazon Sale: Though Amazon doesn’t have a landing page for its Labor Day sales just yet, the retail giant has released deals on Echo and Fire TV devices ahead of the event. Right now you can save up to 40% off a
- savings on 4K TVs, Apple Watches, and quite a few iPad deals. The online superstore has yet to release it’s full list of Labor Day offerings, but it has gone so far as to match what Amazon is doing. Walmart is offering special discounts on Google Nest devices right now, as well as some great
- Home Depot Sale: If you’re looking for major appliances, grills, power tools, or smart home devices, Home Depot has some great savings right now. With up to 40% off select items, it’s a great time to upgrade your home.
When are the best Labor Day sales?
Labor Day may be on September 2, but the majority of the sales have already arrived. Some of the earliest deals will be on mattresses, with companies like Casper, Tempur-Pedic, Leesa, and Tuft and Needle usually dropping prices weeks in advance. Many clothing companies will also extend their back-to-school and summer sales through September, so you don’t even really need to wait for those. HP, Lenovo, and Dell have already released their Labor Day deals.
All in all, many of the best Labor Day sales will officially begin a week before the actual holiday. Walmart, REI, Home Depot, and many more big retailers have already begun dropping their best savings.
What are the best Labor Day sales on?
Though this shopping holiday is quite a bit more subdued than Black Friday, it is still one of the best times to save yourself a solid chunk of money. It is also one of the last times of the year to grab big discounts before you have to start putting all of your budget towards Christmas gifts for loved ones. So if you’re in the market for some new stuff, these are the sales you should keep your eye on:
4K TV Deals: Televisions are one of those things that are always on sale these days. With 8K TVs hitting the market, weekend sales are an awesome time grab huge savings on already deeply discounted 4K TVs. Amazon and Walmart have some noteworthy discounts on Samsung, Vizio, TCL, and LG options worth looking into.
Laptop Deals: Considering many back-to-school sales are already happening, Labor Day discounts are really just an extension of that. Dell, HP, and Lenovo have some of their deepest discounts on notebooks, 2-in-1s, Chromebooks, and monitors. There are also some solid iPad deals available.
Mattress Sales: When it comes to beds, pillows, and sheets, holiday weekends are the absolute best time to buy. Though the majority of brick and mortar retail chains are having blowout mattress sales, the best savings are online.
Smartwatch Deals: Wearables have become one of the most popular new devices on the market, and with the convenience they provide, it’s easy to see why. You can expect to see discounts on Apple Watches, Samsung Gear, and Fitbit smartwatches for Labor Day weekend.
Clothing Sales: With Labor Day weekend marking the beginning of a new school year, you can expect the best discounts to be on clothes. Old Navy, Gap, Nordstrom, and REI usually have some great site-wide sales to pick through around the end of August.
Beauty Sales: Makeup, hair dryers, curling irons, and many other fashion accessories are probably going to get good discounts. You can expect to see a few online sales from Sephora as well, so keep your eye out for those.
How to shop the best Labor Day sales
Like any major buying holiday, there are a lot of different deals floating around you can get your grabbers on. This is obviously a dangerous time for your bank account, so there are a few tips and tricks to remember while you browse. If you want to make the most out of your Labor Day shopping, here are the things to keep in mind.
Not every deal is a good deal: It is a fairly common tactic for retailers to promote “reduced prices” during an event like this, but savings aren’t always what they seem. More often than not, those products you’re looking at have been on sale for months already and Labor Day sales have nothing to do with the price cut you see.
Beware of phishing scams: We live in a digital era, which means it’s easier than ever to have your information stolen online. If you want to avoid getting your credit card information, identity, or personal logins stolen while shopping online, you’ll want to take a look at how to avoid phishing scams.
Have a budget in mind: Shopping online can be addictive. If you aren’t careful with your purchases, you can end up overspending without any real plan in place to pay everything off. Even if you’re planning on buying a lot of smaller items, just make sure you have a total budget in mind and try to stick to it.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.
- Amazon Prime Day 2020: When is it, and what can we expect?
- Best 4th of July sales 2020: All the best deals, all in one place
- Best Father’s Day Deals 2020: The Ultimate Guide
- The best time to buy appliances (and the worst time to buy)
- Best Buy laptop deals: The best offers for July 2020