Remember all those teachers who warned that if you kept playing video games, you’d never amount to anything? Well, the teams that walk away with a share of the $1 million in prizes from this weekend’s 2014 Call of Duty Championships might have something to say about that.
Beginning Friday, March 28, 31 teams will compete in Call of Duty: Ghosts for the top prize of the Championships. The event begins with a round-robin competition, with the top 16 teams advancing to a double elimination bracket. The competition will then culminate on Sunday, March 30 at 3 p.m. PST, when the two final teams face off.
The tournament, held in Santa Monica, CA, is sponsored by Xbox, and all teams will compete in the Xbox One version of the game. Teams consist of four players, and the first place winner will walk away with $400,000 in cash. The second place runner-up will earn $200,000, and the rest of the $400,000 purse will be distributed amongst the next six teams based on their final positions, with the lowest-ranked cash recipient taking home $25,000.
- Forza Racing Championship coming with new ‘Forza Motorsport 7’ esports features
- Harley, reigning champ Indian unveil their flat track race teams for 2018 season
- ‘Radical Heights’ is a battle royale game from the makers of ‘LawBreakers’
- How to watch March Madness online
- The History of Battle Royale: From Mod to Worldwide Phenomenon