Movies based on Marvel characters have been comparatively successful of late – compared to a diamond mine, that is. The strategy from Marvel, to form its own Entertainment division and work with Disney to create a universe rather than just a film, is paying off in a major way. And that success is limited to the Marvel Studios.
Sony continues to churn out Spider-Man movies, while Fox holds on to the rights of several Marvel characters, most notably the X-Men and Fantastic Four. Regardless of the studio behind it, Marvel characters are hot in films right now. We’ve accumulated all the news and rumors of the upcoming Marvel characters for you to sort through. Check back often, as we will continue to update this page.
This article will contain minor spoilers, so if you are hoping to remain completely unspoiled, this might not be the page for you. Otherwise, just choose from one of the upcoming films below or take look at all the upcoming DC films, both rumored and confirmed.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2, 2014)
(This article was original published on July 6, 2013. Any updates or additional news will be posted with the date of the update next to them.)
Films with Marvel Characters Being Developed Outside of Marvel Studios
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2, 2014)
Paul Giamatti can be seen in some shots as Aleksei Sysevich, a Russian mobster in the film, and the character that would become the Rhino in the comics.
More revealing, though, are the shots of Jamie Foxx as Max Dillion, aka Electro. The images confirm that the film’s Electro will be modeled on the Ultimate Electro, who rather than wearing a gaudy yellow costume is instead himself electric blue. Leaked images also confirm that the story will be set around Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey’s high school graduation.
- Sony has announced that there will be a third and fourth Spider-Man film, debuting on June 10, 2016 and May 4, 2018 respectively. It may be that the story director Marc Webb and Sony initially envisioned warranted four movies, but it may also have something to do with ensuring that the rights to the character stick with Sony for a while to come.
- Shailene Woodley was set to appear as Mary Jane in the film, but her role has been cut and pushed to the third and fourth films, presumably due to pacing issues. There are rumors that the role may be recast as well.
- Actress Felicity Jones has been cast in an unknown role, but she will play a villain of sorts, leading many to believe that she will appear as the Black Cat.
- New images of Electro have surfaced via Entertainment Weekly, giving us a better look at Foxx in full makeup, wearing his costume. [7/11/13]
- Jones has further gone on record stating that she is playing the “Goblin’s girlfriend – I’m in a relationship with him, and his accomplice.” If the film follows the comics, that could make her Harry Osborne’s (Dane DeHaan) girlfriend, Lily Hollister, rather than Norman Osborn’s girlfriend as the quote suggests. In the comics, Hollister stumbles upon Norman Osborne’s Green Goblin gear (along with his super strength serum) and becomes the villain Menace. [7/17/13].
- Giamatti will only be in a few scenes, and Webb has called it “a little bit of a tease,” which could mean we’ll see him again in the future. [7/22/13] [7/23/13]
- Harry Osborne and Peter Parker are childhood friends who haven’t seen each other in years. Harry has been at a private boarding school called Ravencroft. In the comics, the Ravencroft Institute is a maximum security prison for the criminally insane. [7/22/13]
- Norman Osborne (Chris Cooper) will be sick throughout the movie, building on the story started in the first film that will likely continue on through the sequels. [7/22/13]
- Webb has hinted that the fourth Spider-Man movie could feature multiple superheroes and be a team-up film. Sony owns the rights to all characters that primarily appear in the Spider-Man comics, so there are a lot of possibilities to introduce lesser known, but still compelling, secondary heroes. That also would fit with the rumors that the super villain team the Sinister Six will be introduced. [7/25/13]
- Images of Giamatti in a CGI rig make seemingly confirm he will appear as the comic book version of the Rhino, at least in some fashion (see below). [7/25/13]
- Jamie Foxx has confirmed that there has been discussion about the possibility of bringing the Sinister Six to the big screen. [9/13/13]
- Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, and Jeff Pinkner, screenwriters of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, have been brought back to begin work on the script for the third film. [10/2/13]
- Paul Giamatti has confirmed that he will be in the third Spider-Man film. [10/4/13]
- In the film’s Tumblr feed, a faux news article was posted. In it, the name Spencer Smythe was mentioned as the head of Oscorp’s engineering division, which was currently working on a flight harness and robotics. That flight harness is likely going to end up as the Green Goblin’s glider, while the robotics could become “Spider Slayers,” robots that in the comics Spencer Smythe created to destroy Spider-Man. [10/14/13]
- A 3D trailer for Spidey 2 will debut before The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on December 13. [10/30/13]
Next Page: X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23, 2014)