The WWE franchise of video games has been a rocky one. While we had a fantastic entry with WWE 2K20 in 2019, the following year’s WWE title of any kind was the dismal WWE 2K Battlegrounds, which was more than a small step back for the series. WWE 2K22 took things back in the right direction, with far better graphics, gameplay, and modes. With many rumors and reports swirling about WWE and publisher 2K’s relationship, a lot was uncertain about the future of the series. Here’s everything we know about this next wrestling game featuring John Cena as the cover star.
- UFC 5: release date, trailers, gameplay, and more
- Street Fighter 6: release date, trailers, gameplay, and more
- Tekken 8: release date, trailers, gameplay, roster, and more
WWE 2k23 will hit, as many speculated, on March 17, 2023.
WWE 2K23 will certainly be more of a refinement and expansion of what we had with WWE 2K22 rather than a major departure. You will perform matches with dynamic animations, realistic physics, dodges, blocks, breakers, strikes, and all the special moves you know and love. We are fully expecting all the best modes, such as MyRISE, MyGM, Showcase, Royal Rumble, and Universe Mode to come back in expanded form, but also a new surprise or two. Among the most requested features are custom entrances, sharable rosters, and more interesting AI.
Being the cover star, this year’s Showcase mode will center around Cena’s career. However, instead of playing as the superstar himself, players will take control of his opponents in key matches.
A new mode called WarGames will be introduced. Here, two teams of three or four wrestlers compete in two side-by-side rings enclosed in a steel cage. Returning modes include MyGM, MyFaction, and MyRise.
The only other confirmed fighters in WWE2k23 aside from Cena are Cody Rhodes, Roman Reigns, Ronda Rousey, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, Rhea Ripley, Bianca Belair, Drew McIntyre, Bobby Lashley, and Hulk Hogan. While the full roster is still a mystery, one thing we do know is that many wrestlers will not be coming back for WWE 2K23 from WWE 2K22 since they have since left WWE and joined AEW. These include:
- Ariya Daivari
- Isiah Scott
- Jake Roberts
- Jeff Hardy
- Keith Lee
- Kyle O’Reilly
- Samoa Joe
- William Regal
- Ember Moon
- Toni Storm
Multiplayer is where the WWE games really shine, and WWE 2K23 will undoubtedly feature a robust online suite. If WWE 2K22 is anything to go by, we can expect to battle it out with up to eight other wrestlers with custom characters, arenas, moves, and more in free-for-all, team, Royal Rumble, and all kinds of gimmick matches. We do know that the new MyFaction mode will now allow online multiplayer. One thing we do hope that WWE 2K23 fixes is adding in cross-play, which was not available in WWE 2K22.
Preorders are already live here! You can choose either the base game for $60 for last-gen systems, $70 for current-gen, or either the $100 Deluxe and $120 Icon editions that include early access to the game.
The Deluxe edition includes:
- 3-day early access
- Bad Bunny Bonus Pack – playable Bad Bunny Character and one Ruby Bad Bunny MyFaction card
- Season pass access to five DLCs
- MyRise Mega-boost
- Ruby John Cena MyFaction Evo card
- Emerald Bianca Belair MyFaction card
- Gold Asuka MyFaction card
- Gold Edge MyFaction card
- Three basic premium launch MyFaction packs
The Icon edition includes:
- Everything included in the Deluxe edition
- Playable prototype Cena
- One prototype Cena MyFaction card
- Playable Leviathan Batista
- Playable Throwback Randy Orton
- Playable Throwback Brock Lesnar
- John Cena legacy championship belt
- WrestleMania 22 arena
- Emerald Paul Heyman manager MyFaction card
- Three Deluxe premium launch MyFaction packs
- WWE 2K23 improves the wrestling sim with subtle tweaks and a bit of chaos
- WWE 2K23 brings the pain with John Cena, Cody Rhodes, and Bad Bunny
- Skull and Bones: release date, trailers, gameplay, and more
- Hogwarts Legacy: release date, platforms, gameplay, and more
- 2022 was excellent for sports games, depending where you looked