If you love reading books but can’t find much time to actually read, how about listening to books instead? Audible is an Amazon company that sells and produces spoken audio content. While Audible offers a wide range of content, including radio and TV programs, the company is best known for its offering of what could once be called “books on tape” — now known as, more appropriately, digital audiobooks. Launched over 25 years ago, Audible can help you grab your favorite audiobooks on Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Kindle, with the push of a download button.
Audible launched as an independent company in 1995; it produced a digital audio player that consumers could purchase to listen to their favorite audiobooks. Due to the technology available in the mid-1990s, the device was limited, only able to hold around two hours of audio in Audible’s proprietary format. The company went through some hard times after the previous CEO, Andrew Huffman, died of a sudden heart attack. However,
When 2008 came around, the company began its venture into audiobook production under the Audible Frontiers imprint. As Audible continued to grow, Amazon took note and purchased the company later that year for $300 million.
The collection from Audible sports over 200,000 audio programs, helping to make
However, Audible also offers a credit system — subscribing to an
Current Audible membership plans
- Audible Plus: This tier provides unlimited access to Audible Originals, Audiobooks, and Podcasts for $7.95 per month.
- Audible Premium Plus: This tier adds a free “premium select title” per month that’s essentially a permanent purchase you can keep as an audiobook even if you stop using Audible, for $14.95 per month.
Audible is available across a wide range of devices, which is essential as most of the company’s content is protected by DRM, meaning it can’t be played on unauthorized devices. You can often stream the
- Windows and Mac computers
- All functioning Kindles (currently 8th-gen Kindles and newer, although Kindles do periodically lose support and will stop working)
- All Alexa devices (this is an enormous catalog of smart speakers including all Echo devices, compatible car dashboards, etc.)
- Amazon Fire Tablets with OS 5 or newer
- The SanDisk Clip Jam
- The Bones Milestone 312
- The Victor Reader Stream
Audible has moved through several audio formats over the years, including Format 2, Format 3, Format 4.
If you want to manage audiobook size or work within data streaming limits, etc., note that you can switch between High Quality and Standard Quality formats in your Audible settings.
Audible hired the former vice president of programming at NPR, Eric Nuzum, to help create new and original content in 2015. While
Sincerely, X is another Audible Original featuring Ted Talks from anonymous individuals, including a doctor who believed he killed his patient and a Silicon Valley executive who experienced a mental breakdown. Two other options from
Is Audible free with Prime?
Amazon’s Audible service does not come free with a Prime subscription, but some e-books available in the Prime Reading library do include
Are books on Audible free?
While Audible is a storefront looking to make money, the company does offer a small selection of free audiobooks. Additionally,
Is there a cheaper alternative to Audible?
If you want audiobooks, but don’t want to use Audible, there are quite a few options available, including AudioBooksNow and audiobooks.com. You can also obtain free library audiobooks from Overdrive and free public domain audiobooks from LibriVox. The cheapest alternative to
- What is Amazon Music: everything you need to know
- What is NFC? How it works and what you can do with it
- Amazon is adding 4 big features to your Kindle Scribe — here’s what’s new
- What is Google Assistant? Here’s the guide you need to get started
- What to do if your Amazon Alexa app is not working