Picking up a gun in Fortnite Battle Royale is simple. Choosing the best weapon, though, isn’t always an easy decision to make. What do the different colors for each weapon mean? What should you choose when playing solo versus as a team? We’ve got you covered with an overview of weapon basics, rarity types, and the most effective arms for each category. Here are the best weapons for any situation in Fortnite Battle Royale.
While there’s a treasure trove of different weapons to consider using in Fortnite, some of what you end up with is dependent on where you head to. As such, your first move of deciding where to land is just as important as your weapon choice. After all, some places offer many more options than others. Before we get into the weapons themselves, let’s go over the best spots to head to for the best Fortnite weapons.
Best loot locations
When it comes to finding the best weapons in Battle Royale, there are a couple of different approaches you can take. You can go straight to the most popular areas in hopes of finding legendary gear or head to the least visited areas on the map with safety in mind. Let’s start with heading to popular areas. The absolute best areas to look for the best weapons can be found below:
- Tilted Towers: The quintessential popular spot. There are chests littered everywhere in the city, which is why it’s no surprise it’s always full of hopeful players. We recommend landing at the base of a building and grabbing what you can first. While it makes sense to land on the roof, you can actually beat players destroying roofs to weapons if you’re quick.
- Dusty Divot: This popular named location is filled with weapons and treasure chests to open. Better yet, the cover of trees and such make it so that other players will have a hard time finding you.
- Tomato Town: There is a lot to love about this cute, fast food-obsessed town. Most importantly, though, are the slew of buildings with weapons and chests scattered throughout.
If you head to one of these popular spots, you will need a plan. Your initial goal should be to find a shotgun or SMG. Like we mentioned, it’s always best to head straight to the bottom floor first. While it’s tempting to go after those precious chests in the attics, you can easily get a gun first and then take out unsuspecting foes before they get that chest.
However, if you want to play with safety in mind and just want an easier time collecting the best Fortnite weapons before taking on enemies, you’ll want to head to less popular locations. You can find our recommendations for those spots below:
- Snobby Shores: This set of suburban homes on the west side of the map is the road less traveled. There are a ton houses to ransack with basements and attics with chests, and more. The best part is that not many players think to come here for whatever reason.
- Villains’ Lair: This unnamed location is found just to the east of Haunted Hills on the large mountain. It is an intricate lair filled with chests and loot everywhere. It’s hard not to find some good weapons here even if other players show up, too.
- Paradise Palms/Desert: Paradise Palms is a moderately popular spot but still a town filled with good places to loot. However, the desert as a whole has lots of chests scattered around from the racetracks to the eastern cliffs and usually not many players to worry about.
Visiting these places will quickly fill your inventory up. Fortnite Battle Royale sets you up with a default inventory that you can access at any time. You get five slots to carry weapons, medkits, potions, and grenades. Thankfully, building materials and ammo aren’t counted in this so collect those to your heart’s content.
You can rearrange your quick access slots however you see fit, but it’s always a good idea to places your best weapons (i.e. your assault rifle and shotgun) right next to each other for a quick switch to get you out of any sticky situation. To do this, you’ll need to find a quiet place where you won’t be seen to retreat for a few moments during a match. Open your inventory screen to swap out your weapons and rearrange them to your liking. This cannot be done straight from the hotbar on the bottom right screen. You need to head into your backpack first. This can be done by pressing up on the D-Pad on consoles.
Rifle through your inventory, select the weapon you want to move, and then one of the slots on your hotbar will light up. Simply choose the new slot where you want to put your weapon, and confirm the movement. Fortunately, you don’t have to drop the items and pick them back up to make a preferable lineup, though if you don’t really have time to head into the menus, you can certainly do that for a quick and dirty rearrange. Keep practicing this and it will become second nature.
Weapon colors and what they mean
Fortnite Battle Royale’s selection of weapons varies between categories, with plenty of different arms to choose from. From the suppressed assault rifle to the explosive rocket launcher, there’s something to fit every play style. Each weapon is assigned a tier on a rarity scale, too. Whether you’re selecting an SMG or an assault rifle, all weapons will be color-coded as such.
- Gray: Common
- Green: Uncommon
- Blue: Rare
- Purple: Epic
- Gold: Legendary
The rarer the gun, the higher the damage it will do. In a firefight, the better class of gun has the higher potential for damage, so if you take a gray assault rifle into battle against a blue one, and so on, the person with the blue gun will have an edge.
If at any time during the game you find a higher rarity tier of the weapon you’re currently using, make sure you swap out your current weapon and pick up the new color. This allows for you to make sure you are maximizing your damage. Gray and green weapons are fine at the start of the match but you should have at least blue ones by the time half of the players are dead.
Choosing between different weapons of different tiers is more difficult. It might not be a good idea to trade a common assault rifle for an epic pistol if you know you’re about to cover some open terrain. If you have to make such a choice, think about where you plan to head next and what weapon is best suited to the terrain. If you find yourself not very skilled with sniper rifles, don’t waste the inventory space by picking it up even if it’s legendary.
New to Fortnite: Battle Royale? Be sure to consult our beginner’s guide, with plenty of tips and tricks to get you started.