The best indie games push the boundaries of what’s possible in a video game. From party experiences like Among Us to wonderfully unique narrative adventures like Lake, there’s an endless sea of excellent indie games to choose from. Sorting through the massive pile is a chore, though, which is why we rounded up the top indie games you should play in 2023.
From gritty detective dramas to farming simulators, there’s an indie game for everyone. If you’re shopping for a specific platform, make sure to read our dedicated guides:
If you’re a fan of walking simulators — such as Death Stranding — Lake needs to be on your to-do list. Instead of roaming around a post-apocalyptic world with a baby strapped to your chest, Lake brings things back to reality as you’ll step into the shoes of Meredith Weiss as she delivers mail in her old childhood home. The adventure features a heartwarming narrative, a relaxing gameplay loop, and surprisingly well-voiced characters. There are a few twists along the way, but Lake is a game meant to be played at a snail’s pace — so kick back, put your feet up, and enjoy the sights and sounds of this quaint lakeside town.
- Day of the Devs brings surprising sequels, a truffle pig RPG, and more must-see games
- These are the best gaming mice to buy in 2023
- The Game Awards 2023: how to watch and what to expect
- Best Xbox Series X deals: consoles, games, and accessories
- Best Buy deals: Save on laptops, TVs, appliances, and more