The 2022’summer gaming marathon is officially in full swing as one of the biggest showcases of the summer is upon us: Geoff Keighley’s Summer Game Fest Kickoff livestream returned after a 2021 show that featured AAA games like Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands and Elden Ring. As this is a show not tied to any specific publisher or platform, we received a wide range of announcements from gaming studios big and small.
We got updates on upcoming AAA games like Gotham Knights, One Piece: Odyssey, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, and Marvel’s Midnight Suns, as well as a couple of new reveals. It was, unfortunately, a pretty underwhelming showcase overall, but a lot of games were still shown. We’ve rounded up everything that Keighley announced at Summer Game Fest Kickoff!
The first new game announcement from the showcase was Aliens: Dark Descent. It’s a single-player horror-action game set in the popular sci-fi universe where players take on Xenomorphs with a squad of soldiers. Aliens: Dark Descent will be released for PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X and will launch in 2023.
A team of ex-Blizzard devs at Frost Giant Studios unveiled Stormgate, a new postapocalyptic, sci-fi real-time strategy game in the style of Warcraft 3 or Starcraft. It will be free-to-play and get a beta next year. Digital Trends also got an early look at the game and learned how Frost Giant wants Stormgate to be the Elden Ring of RTS titles.
After over eight months of silence, 2K and Firaxis finally showed their card-based Marvel strategy game again. The Marvel’s Midnight Suns trailer confirms that Venom, Spider-Man, and evil versions of Hulk and Scarlet Witch are in the game. We also learned that Marvel’s Midnight Suns will finally launch for PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X on October 7.
While many hoped that Bloober Team would show its rumored Silent Hill project at Summer Game Fest, it turns out that it showed up to reveal Layers of Fears, the third Layers of Fear game. Layers of Fears is a first-person horror game made in Unreal Engine 5 and it launches on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X in early 2023.
Some of the show’s biggest announcements, even if one of them leaked beforehand, were related to The Last of Us. Titled The Last of Us Part I to tie it in closer to the sequel, the remake overhauls the visuals, tweaks the original’s controls and level design, and adds more accessibility options. It’s coming out shockingly soon as The Last of Us Part I launches on September 2, 2021. Meanwhile, the multiplayer game got concept art, and it was confirmed that it would have a story. We also got a new image from the TV show, learned that Joel and Ellie’s video game voice actors have roles in the show, and learned that creative director Neil Druckmann directed an episode. The show wraps up filming on June 10 and will release in 2023.
- Street Fighter 6 will see Guile coming back as a fighter.
- The Callisto Protocol got a gorier trailer and new uncut gameplay.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 got new gameplay footage from one of the game’s levels.
- Flashback 2 was announced by Microids with a winter 2022 release window.
- Witchfire got a new trailer.
- Fort Solis starring Troy Baker and Roger Clark was announced.
- Routine, which features a soundtrack by Mick Gordon, reemerged after being announced a decade ago.
- A shirtless Dwayne Johnson appeared to promote Fortnite and Black Adam, re-airing the latter’s trailer.
- Outriders: Worldslayer trailer gave another glimpse at the expansion ahead of another Outriders Broadcast on June 10.
- Fall Guys got a live-action trailer ahead of its free-to-play release.
- Rogue Games and Demagog Studio revealed the survival game Highwater.
- American Arcadia got a new trailer ahead of its appearance at Tribeca Games Festival.
- Goat Simulator 3 was announced with a trailer parodying Dead Island 2′s infamous reveal trailer.
- Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course showcased a new boss.
- Neon White launches on PC and Nintendo Switch on June 16
- Midnight Fight Express got an August 23 release date and demo.
- Warframe’s TennoCon returns on July 16 and will show its massive expansion, The Duviri Paradox.
- Strategy game Honkai: Star Rail and Zenless Zone Zero from the developers of Genshin Impact got new trailers.
- TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge launches on June 16 and features a six-player mode.
- Superpeople got a new cinematic trailer ahead of its final beta.
- Humankind comes to PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X on November 4 with Latin Cultures of America DLC.
- One Piece Odyssey got a new trailer.
- Soul Hackers 2 revealed its English dub in a new trailer.
- Samsung announced that its Gaming Hub for TVs will add Xbox Game Pass. We got an early look at this new version of the service.
- Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 launches July 22.
- A Mario Strikers: Battle League ad was shown ahead of its launch.
- Metal: Hellsinger showed more of its rhythmic FPS gameplay and launched a demo.
- The Quarry got a launch trailer.
- We got a new look at the first-person fantasy survival gameplay and the realm card system for Nightingale.
- The newly revealed Saints Row Boss Factory demo lets players create and customize their boss character ahead of the game’s launch this August.
- Warhammer 40K: Darktide got a gameplay trailer.
- Gotham Knights got a new trailer highlighting Nightwing.