The horror video game genre exploded in popularity during the original PlayStation era, around the time the first Resident Evil game debuted in 1996. Since then, we’ve gotten a tremendous amount of support in the horror realm, with memorable experiences that blur the lines between genres but always focus on keeping you on the edge of your seat. There are horror games that are action-oriented, some that are more narrative-focused, and others that lean into survival.
When you pair the genre with the Nintendo Switch, one of the most popular gaming consoles in recent memory, you get an incredible lineup of horror games, great for playing at home on a big screen or on the go. While the Nintendo Switch isn’t powerful enough to run many modern horror games like Resident Evil Village (at least not natively) or the upcoming Dead Space remake, playing lower-budget titles or older entries is still possible on the machine, so there is no shortage of options to choose from.
Since there are so many horror games available on Switch — with many that fall into interesting subgenres — we’ve decided to highlight them in this post. These are the best horror games on Nintendo Switch.
- The best single-player Nintendo Switch games
- The best indie games on Nintendo Switch
- The best Nintendo Switch exclusives
- Best gaming PC deals: Powerful gaming rigs from $600
- Best gaming laptop deals: Save on Alienware, Razer, HP and more
- We found 5 great OLED gaming monitors in the clearance bin
- The best Nintendo Switch games for 2023
- PS5 game sale: Save on 80+ titles including Hogwarts Legacy