Following a shockingly good State of Play and an underwhelming Summer Game Fest Kickoff, it was Microsoft’s turn to enter the spotlight and highlight the games coming to Xbox platforms and services. Namely, we saw Starfield in action even though it was delayed until 2023, and we got a better idea of what games are coming to Xbox Game Pass over the next 12 months.
- Redfall gameplay shows what Arkane’s vampire shooter is all about
- Forza Motorsport will actually release in spring 2023
- Grand strategy game Ara: History Untold announced by Xbox Game Studios
- Minecraft enters the strategy genre with Minecraft Legends
- As Dusk Falls and Pentiment flesh out Microsoft’s 2022 lineup
- Hideo Kojima reveals Xbox Game Studios partnership
- Starfield gameplay reveal shows what Bethesda’s next RPG is really like
- Everything else:
This was a significant showcase for Microsoft, which needed to confirm what it had in store for this year and what new games are on the horizon. While there were plenty of exciting new gameplay trailers and game announcements, nothing quite blew us away. Still, the presentation painted an extremely clear picture of what Xbox players can expect between now and June 2023. This is everything that was announced at the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase 2022.
The show opened with our first look at gameplay for Redfall, an upcoming cooperative shooter about vampires from Arkane Austin. It initially leans quite hard into the horror aspects of the game before transitioning into showing bombastic shooting action, each character’s abilities, and more. Redfall will be released in 2023.
We finally got another look at Turn 10’s Forza Motorsport for Xbox Series X, with a focus on its gameplay, lighting, and dynamic time of day system, and more. While many assumed that the beautiful racing game would launch later this year, it’s actually not coming out until spring 2023.
Oxide Games and Xbox Game Studios Publishing revealed a brand-new historical turn-based grand strategy game called Ara: History Untold. It was one of the few trailers without any gameplay, but it teases a game that will encompass centuries of history and lots of cultures. It doesn’t have a release date, but we know it’s coming to PC and Game Pass, and players can sign up for the history program.
Minecraft showed up during the Xbox show, but it wasn’t with a simple update. Instead, a bran- new action strategy game called Minecraft Legends was announced. We even saw a bit of gameplay after the cinematic trailer, and it definitely looks very unique when compared to anything done with Minecraft before. Minecraft Legends will be released for PC, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One in 2023.
We got another look at As Dusk Falls, a narrative-focused game with a motion comic-like art style. The new trailer gave us a better look at the story and confirmed a July 19 release date. We also learned that a new narrative RPG from Obsidian Entertainment called Pentiment launches later this year. These games help flesh out Microsoft’s paltry 2022 lineup in the wake of Starfield’s delay.
During a segment focused on Japanese games, Hideo Kojima stopped by the showcase to confirm Kojima Productions’ rumored partnership with Xbox Game Studios. He didn’t actually show his game, which is rumored to be called Overdose, but this is a disruptive announcement for players who associate Kojima with PlayStation because of Metal Gear Solid and Death Stranding.
As expected, we got an extended look at Starfield’s gameplay in action during the showcase. We see a player explore the moon of Kreet in the year 2330 in first-person. They scan and encounter the local fauna, wildlife, and minerals before fighting some pirates, with shooting gameplay much more intense than anything Bethesda Game Studios has done before. They then go to the city of New Atlantis and see some of the game’s conversations in action. Todd Howard then showed us an early look at the game’s immensely detailed character customization, skill system, ship and crew customization, flying, and vast galaxy. Starfield will be released in 2023.
- Hollow Knight: Silksong got a new trailer and is coming to Xbox Game Pass on day one.
- Squanch Games’ Justin Roiland revealed his new game, High On Life, which releases in October 2022 and will be on Xbox Game Pass on day one.
- Riot Games is bringing League of Legends, Wild Rift, Valorant, Legends of Runetrra, and Teamfight Tactics bonuses to Xbox Game Pass members on PC.
- A Plague Tale: Requiem got a gameplay trailer and will launch on day one with Xbox Game Pass.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator is getting helicopters and other new aircraft in November 2022 to celebrate its 40th anniversary. Halo Infinite’s Pelican was added to the game today.
- Overwatch 2’s multiplayer early access launches on October 4, 2022, and will be free-to-play. A new hero was also teased.
- The Elder Scrolls Online: High Isle got a new trailer.
- Fallout 76: The Pitt got a new trailer and September 2022 release window.
- Forza Horizon 5 will get Hot Wheels-themed DLC on July 19.
- Ark 2 got a new trailer starring Vin Diesel and a 2023 release window.
- Scorn got a new trailer confirming an October 21 release date. It will be on Xbox Game Pass on day one.
- Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn got a gameplay trailer and early 2023 release window. It will launch day one on Xbox Game Pass.
- Lightyear: Frontier got a new trailer and spring 2023 release window. It launches day one with Xbox Game Pass.
- Cat-themed roguelike action game Gunfire Reborn got an October 2022 release window. It launches day one with Xbox Game Pass.
- The Last Case of Benedict Fox was revealed as a day one Xbox Game Pass title that will release in spring 2023.
- Naraka Bladepoint comes to Xbox consoles and Game Pass on June 23.
- Grounded gets its 1.0 launch in September 2022.
- Ereban: Shadow Legacy was announced and will come to Xbox Game Pass in 2023.
- Diablo IV got a new trailer revealing the Necromancer class. Also, PC and Xbox crossplay was confirmed, PvP and endgame content was teased, and a 2023 release was confirmed.
- Sea of Thieves is getting a new update that lets players customize their cabin, name their ships, and more on July 21.
- The developers of Echo Generation revealed a new fantasy game called Ravenlok, which launches on Xbox Game Pass in 2023.
- One of the creators of Limbo announced Cocoon, which comes to Xbox Game Pass in 2023.
- Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo teased a new IP, Wo Long: Fallen Destiny, which will release in early 2023 on Xbox Game Pass.
- Persona 3, 4, and 5 are coming to Game Pass. Persona 5 will be added on October 21, while Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden are coming after that.
- Every video game delay that’s happened in 2022
- Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series producer hints at future remasters
- Final Fantasy XIV players can build their own island in a new update
- Don’t expect a new Sly Cooper or Infamous game anytime soon, says Sucker Punch
- The most iconic meme game is coming to Nintendo Switch Online this month