Xbox came off one of its best showcases of all time by holding another that got even more detailed about the games that were announced. Xbox Games Showcase Extended 2023 was a slower-paced show that went a lot deeper into some of the games present at the June 11 event. It’s featured Xbox Game Showcase titles like Avowed, Microsoft Flight Simulator – Dune Expansion, Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2, The Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom, Towerborne, and Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty.
There were some reveals that were exclusive to this show as well, like DLC for High on Life, an update for Hi-Fi Rush, and some new indie games. It was a surprisingly packed show for being a secondary event. For those who want to know everything that was revealed, we’ve rounded up every announcement made at Xbox Games Showcase Extended 2023 right here.
The second thing to appear during this year’s Xbox Games Showcase Extended was High on Knife from Squanch Games. High on Knife is DLC for the surprise 2022 Xbox Game Pass hit High On Life. Its reveal trailer definitely plays like one for a horror game, and an Xbox Wire post teases that players should expect a story set two years after the events of the game, as well as new weapons. While High on Life is available through Xbox Game Pass, it looks like a purchase will be required to play High on Knife when it releases later this year.
Nexon debuted Xbox Series X gameplay of its free-to-play, co-op sci-fi shooter The First Descendant. It highlighted combat, character customization, and improvements made since the PC-only beta last year. At the end of its segment, Nexon also confirmed that a crossplay beta — which will be available on Xbox Series X — will take place between August 22 and August 28. The full game is planned to release before the end of this year. Digital Trends actually interviewed the developers of The First Descendant last year, so check out that interview if you want more information on the game
As a nice surprise during this year’s Xbox Games Showcase Extended, Tango Gameworks revealed a meaty update for its critically acclaimed rhythm action game Hi-Fi Rush. It will add two new modes players can access after they beat the game. The first is BPM Rush mode, which is a wave-based combat mode where things get a bit faster after each wave, up to 200 beats per minute. And Power Up! Tower Up! is another tower mode that initially removes Chai’s powers and then lets players upgrade or debuff Chai between levels. There will also be new photo mode and character customization options added. Titled Hi-Fi Rush – Arcade Challenge, this update will be released on July 5 alongside a new costume pack.
During the show, Xbox highlighted 10 neat-looking indie games that will be coming to Xbox Game Pass when they release. The most notable is Another Crab’s Treasure, which is that Soulslike starring a crab that went viral after it debuted at a Nintendo Indie World presentation last year. We actually went hands-on with this game at Summer Game Fest Play Days, so check out our Another Crab’s Treasure preview to get a better idea of what to expect from this title. Techtonica, Sea of Stars, Harold Halibut, Galacticare, Neon White, Mineko’s Night Market, The Book Walker, The Wandering Village, and Little Kitty, Big City were all also confirmed to be coming to Xbox Game Pass at release.
- CD Projekt Red walked viewers through the Black Market in Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty. The developer also confirmed an overhauled police system and the addition of an air dash ability. Keanu Reeves was then interviewed about Johnny Silverhand’s role in the expansion, the new areas players are able to explore, and some of the new characters that will appear during Phantom Liberty.
- The Lamplighters League got an October 3 release date.
- Avowed game director Carrie Patel broke down the trailer that played at the Xbox Games Showcase, revealing more about the game’s premise, characters, and combat. Patel also compared the game’s size to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II and The Outer Worlds.
- Stoic Studio outlined what players can expect from Towerborne in a developer diary. It teased seasonal post-launch support for the game too.
- Fallout 76’s Once in a Blue Moon update was announced and will be released on June 20. We also briefly saw some gameplay footage from next year’s Atlantic City expansion.
- ZeniMax Online Studios detailed what players can expect from The Elder Scrolls Online – Necrom expansion. It will be released on June 20.
- Phasmophobia is coming to Xbox Series X in early access with cross-platform play this August.
- Capcom detailed the PvE Savage Gauntlet and Exosuit variants players will encounter in Exoprimal.
- Sarah Bond highlighted ID@Xbox’s diversity efforts with its developer acceleration program. Drag Her!, Stray Gods, Sonzai, Slime Heroes, Naiad, Spirit Swap, Botany Manor, Despelote, Island of Winds, Psychroma, and El Paso, Elsewhere were featured in a sizzle reel trailer for it.
- The Microsoft Flight Simulator – Dune Expansion’s creation process was detailed in a segment starring Kinda Funny and Gamertag Radio’s Parris Lilly. It will be released on November 3.
- Go Mecha Ball got revealed and will be released in 2024.
- Lies of P‘s various weapons, bosses, and upgrade systems were detailed ahead of its September 19 release.
- The latest Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 trailer got a behind-the-scenes video detailing the motion capture process for both it and the rest of the game.
- A video highlighted the Xbox FanFest celebrations last month, with Matt Booty teasing that there are 2024 Xbox games we don’t yet know about.
- Lightyear: Frontier’s multiplayer features were highlighted in a new gameplay video and it got an early 2024 release window.
- Xbox chief Phil Spencer played 33 Immortals with its developers at Thunder Lotus and interviewed them while doing so.
- Every summer 2023 gaming showcase: full schedule of live streams
- Everything announced at Annapurna Interactive Showcase 2023: Blade Runner, Stray on Xbox, and more
- Everything announced at the June 2023 Nintendo Direct
- Everything announced at the June 2023 Ubisoft Forward
- Everything we learned about Dungeons of Hinterberg, Xbox showcase’s most eye-catching reveal